Search

Killarney restaurants, sights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killarney restaurants, sights

Hello --

I will be in Ireland in a few weeks and I'm staying one night in Dingle and two in Killarney. While I realize the weather could have a great impact on what I do (especially Dingle, I've read), I have sightseeing activities fairly well planned. Suggestions (in terms of preferences) are welcomed, though. Primarily, I would like to know about restaurants in Killarney. The travel books I've purchased just don't have a lot of information on dining in the area. Also, is it true that bad weather should keep one from driving around the Dingle Pennisula? Ring of Kerry?

Thanks in advance for responses!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Our first night in Killarney we had dinner at Murphy's Pub with music starting at 9:30. It was fun.

The second evening we had several recommendations for dinner, but the restaurant we wanted to go to couldn't fit us in because we didn't have a reservations. Would have had to wait 45 minutes. We wondered some of the back streets and came across an Italian restaurant called L'Artesta. It was a "bring your own wine and bee restaurant. An inexpensive change of pace, and it was good. We shared a pizza and some mussels.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:09 AM

I haven't stayed in Killarney so I can't really comment on the restaurants there. As far as traveling the RoK and Dingle in bad weather, it sort of depends on how bad it is. If the visibility is low, you won't see alot but there are some things to see, especially on Dingle. The bee hive huts are quite mysterious looking on a misty day and you can certainly visit the gallarus oratory or Mulcahy Pottery. The guide book that is put out by Bord Failte contains suggestions for rainy days for each area. I found mine at Barnes and Noble.

Hope that helps.

Bill
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Went to Killarney last year and stayed right in town. I don't remember restaurant names but virtually all of the places we ate were essentially pubs. We stuck mostly with seafood which seemed to be universally good. The town is easy to walk around at night.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM

There ARE some good restaurants in Killarney. Is it Rick Steve's book you have? He hates Killarney (and various other places) and wouldn't have any recommendations for it. I believe that the people who write the Steve's Ireland book only visit during the season and therefore see Ireland at a crowded time of year. That is why their opinion of the country is skewed toward a certain viewpoint. I just finished reading Steve's 2004 book (as you might tell) and found it was not very in-depth and skipped over a great deal of the country. Also too many outright mistakes for me to take it seriously. There were a few good things in it like the Dingle Slea Head Drive (found a mistake there too). OK, that's the end of my book review.

Now for MY recommendations for restaurants in Killarney. Gaby's Seafood Restaurant is very good but pricey. It is owned by Annette O'Mahony's (The Shores Country House B&B in Castlegregory) sister. I also recommend The Flesk, Bricin, Robertino's, Linden House, Jam (lunch only), Foley's and Murphy's Pub (for pub grub).
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I can recommend the Bricin. We dined there last May and it was one of the better meals we had in Ireland. Service was a bit lackluster, but not too terrible.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Hi,

I live in Killarney and have eaten in all the recommended places ( and some others).
Bricin is top of my list. Gaby's close by is expensive but really good. L'Artiste great for the BYO wine. Squire's restaurant on college streeti s really nice.
Murphy's is great for pub food. There's also a restaurant in the Beaufort bar (7Km from town) that's really nice.

Hope you have a great stay,

Tony
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:40 PM

Both Murphy's and Gaby's are great - Murphy's for the "pub experience" and Gabys for the "fancy night out". Had a fantastic meal at Gabys.