ireland itinerary...travel tips please

May 7th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

ireland itinerary...travel tips please

We are excited about our June trip to Ireland. We have booked everything...but would like some expert travel tips (pubs, dinings, favorite sights, scenice routes, special finds, etc.) from here (I,ve been to other sites...Pat, Michele, etc.).
Arrive Dublin airport...pick up car
Trim
Galway-2 nights
Doolin
Ennis
Dingle-2 nights
Kenmare-2 nights
Kinsale-2 nights
Kilkenny
Enniscorthy
DunLaoghaire
Dublin-2 nights
May 7th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Chip--
Every time we're in Galway, my husband has to have fish & chips at McDonagh's and I have to spend as much time as possible in Kenny's Bookstore.
In Ennis, visit Custy's Traditional Music Shop. It's a neat little place and the owner always knows where to find good music on a given night. We like to spend time in Cruise's Pub, music or not.
Kenmare has several good restaurants. Guliani's is one and I'm going to look up others for you. Seek out Kenmare's small, non-touristy pubs.
In Dingle, just do the Slea Head drive and soak in the most gorgeous views in the world! Then go back into town and have several pints at several pubs. (McCarthy's is our favorite.) Also, the Gallarus Oratory is something worth seeing, as are the beehive huts.
May 7th, 2003, 06:44 PM

In Kilkenny, just up the main road from the castle, is a restaurant called Breathnachs... its upstairs from a club, nice but relaxed, with consistently great food. We ate there three times while staying in Knocktopher (just south of Kilkenny) and the food was wonderful each time. Casual dress...

Another good restaurant on that same street was a chinese one called Lee's.

May 12th, 2003, 02:47 AM

Chip,

I spent a long weekend in Kenmare recently with a bunch of 'walking' friends.. If you're into walking, make sure you go to Gleninchyquin Park - it's spectacular.. Have tea & scones with Mrs Corkery afterwards... If the weather is nice, you'll not find a nicer spot in Ireland..

Dining out in Kenmare can be very expensive. We found a lot of restaurants to be over-priced... If you really want to treat yourself, go to Packies - it's raved about.. The food was nice, albeit a bit too rich for my liking.. It was expensive! We ate at The Cobblers Bistro twice -it's next door to Packies.. Menu is great and prices even better! If the Cod wrapped in Bacon is on, have it - to die for!! As are the home-made Spring Rolls!

Crowleys pub is the place to meet the locals.. We also enjoyed a day trip around the Ring of Beara..

Have fun.

Katy
NW London
May 13th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Be sure to traverse the Conor Pass on the Dingle Peninsula if the weather is clear. Driving on it is not for the fainthearted as the road is narrow and curvy but the views are spectacular and should not be missed.

It was daylight until about 11 pm when we were there at the end of June. Pubs are open but most other sights (museums,the Blasket center) were not open past 5 or 6 so plan your activities with that in mind!

The hop-on /hop-off bus tour in Dublin was a fun way to quickly familiarize yourself with the city. I was glad that I had a pair of those cheap little stretchy gloves for the ride,though. It was chilly!
You'll have a wonderful time!