Sound of Music locations

May 19th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Sound of Music locations

Greetings, Fodorites -

I've been lurking for ages and finally found a question that, as far as I can tell, hasn't been asked yet.

Can anyone give me a list of locations around Salzburg related to the Sound of Music -- either the film or the original Von Trapp family? It would be fun to see a few of those, but it sounds like the tours are expensive and on the chintzy side. Besides, who needs another souvenir shop?

We will have a car so we can get outside the city a ways. This is by no means the only thing we plan to do there, but it would be fun to see a few things. We are leaving in 3 weeks, for a 3 1/2 week trip with the family. Can't wait!

May 19th, 2003, 03:52 PM

1. Mirabella Gardens....the fountain where they sang a song

2. The cemetary behind St. Peters Church where they hid out at night

3. Schloss >>>>>> (slips my mind) where they have the water tricks, etc is where the gazebo is...and it is very small.

4. The house, with the lake behind it where the dude fell in is a language school now.

Take a tour and you will see these and many more...and its hokey but fun!

US
May 19th, 2003, 04:24 PM

I saw the gazebo and it wasn't much!
May 19th, 2003, 04:30 PM

And, the wedding chapel at Mondsee.
May 19th, 2003, 04:43 PM

It's a fun tour, worth it if you have the time. If anything, it gives you a nice feel for the areas in and around Salzburg. Then you can go back at your leisure.

I particularly enjoyed Mondsee Lake, which is near the wedding chapel. The famous Gazebo is on the grounds of Hellbrunn Castle...which is a must see in itself. The Gazebo, however, has been moved to a strange location, and gives you the impression that they didn't know where else to put it, so they dumped it there.

I have some photos of the chapel, Mondsee Lake, and Mirabell gardens here:

http://www.jimtardio.com/austria-salzburg.html
May 19th, 2003, 06:11 PM

the tour is good fun! by all means, go on it. you really get to see some stunning countryside...
May 19th, 2003, 07:57 PM

I went on this tour many years ago (16?)at the suggestion of friends. I found the music track blaring over the bus speakers to be quite annoying after a half hour even though I love this musical.

The best part of the tour was stopping at the church where the wedding was filmed. My friends suggested that we skip the church and go to the bakery across the street - it was the best part of the tour (although no one else on the tour went there). Scrumptious whipped cream pastries. We took a box of cream puffs back to our room and ate them for dessert after dinner.

So my advice is to ask where the church is located (the travel office in Salzburg should know) and then go there for the pastries. Just my opinion.
May 20th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Benedictine Convent
Frohnburg Palace
Gazebo
Hohensalzburg fortress
Leopoldskron Palace
Mirabell Gardens
Mirabell Palace
Residence Square and Residence Fountain
Rocky Riding School
St. Peter's Cemetery

Keith
May 20th, 2003, 07:57 AM

The following site is for a tour, but you could use the imformation to do it yourself:

http://en.panoramatours.com/soundofmusic/locations.htm
May 22nd, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, all who responded. The Panarama Tours website was especially helpful.

Is Rocky Riding School right in Salzburg?

May 22nd, 2003, 11:35 AM
ang

when i was in italy, we took a trip to salzburg and took the sound of music tour. we went to the castle and went inside the gazebo which i believe was in the back yard. i saved the ticket stub from the tour. i dont know if the number will be the same but it says Michael Winter Mietwagen Unternehmen Zillertalstrabe 30, telefon 34511 Salzburg.
May 22nd, 2003, 01:22 PM

The opening scene of the movie is an overview of Lake Koenigsee which is located just outside of Berchtesgaden and about a 45 minute drive from the city of Salzburg.You can take an electric boat ride across the lake for some fabulous views. This is also my favorite hiking area in all of Germany -with many wonderful trails located throughout these mountains. Other "high" shots were taken on the Rossfeld Strasse which is located high in the Obersalzburg area. This is easily reached from Salzburg and will give you a chance to see Berchtesgaden and Hitlers Eagles Nest. Have a great time!