Fuschl am Fuschlsee-St. Gilgen,etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sound of Music Tour passes the villa: Hotel Schloss, Fuschl am Fuschlsee. Advise if anything gained by taking a second trip to the areas, particularly Hallstatt, St. Gilgen, Lake Wolfgang if time limited, planning on two days/ maybe two nights to three nights ( arriving at night), subsequently traveling to Prague. Thank you
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Well IMO, once you see Fuschlsee, it will just whet your appetite for more! This is a beautiful area of Austria and one could spend weeks enjoying its charms.

However, if your time is severely limited, then you could save it for your next visit.

We've been to Hallstatt at least 6 times over the years and absolutely love it. We're like moths to a flame! We made our first trip to St. Gilgen in Sept. 07 and plan to return on our next visit.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM

You refer to the Hotel Schloss Fuschl- this was the former Hunting Lodge for the Bishops of Salzburg.
Today, with numerous additions and renovations , it is a luxury 5 star Hotel - not a tourist attraction. Perhaps the tour bus passes but you would have a limited view of the hotel if any at all.
The town Fuschl is at the opposite end of the Lake and is a nice quiet tourist destination with many pensions and hotels.
It makes a good base for exploring the region and/ or enjoying the lake. The lake with water many claim is clean enough to drink.
Again, the tour bus will probably pass by on the main road above the town- some views of the Lake and town- most probably no stop there.

As you have liite time to see the city of Salzburg and then make the SOM tour I do not really think you have time for another trip into this region as this with visits to the places you mention take a full day. Agree with the poster above.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Do your own SOM tour !
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I have no idea what the answer to the question is, but I wanted to say that Fuschl was the first place I ever went "abroad" with the school when i was 14, one Easter. It's very pretty.