Hitler's Bunker (Salzburg)

May 24th, 2001, 12:46 AM
Rob Cook

Hitler's Bunker (Salzburg)

Can anyone tell me how to get to Hitler's Bunker from Salzburg? Also details on costs etc. Any help welcome? Thanks
Rob

May 24th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Bob

Hi, Rob!

I was there 12 yrs ago but I remember that we took a bus from Salzburg (right outside the train station) to Berchtesgaten. We then took a taxi to the buses that take you up to the Eagles Nest.

I don't remember the bus from Salzburg taking very long to get to Berchtesgaten. It was a nice ride as you cross from Austria into Germany.

While in Berchtesgaten you will be amazed by the views from the Eagles Nest. While in this town, you should also visit the Salt Mines. Pretty neat experience. Also, there's a tour of the nearby Lake which I heard is fantastic!

You will probably get some other good feedback to you question from others. I am also sure that with some more digging you can get info on costs, maybe even bus schedules.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Bob

May 24th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Marc David Miller

I did some research for an aborted trip to Eagle's Nest (it is not open in the winter)

http://www.eagles-nest-tours.com/
http://www.berchtesgadener-land.com/home_e.htm

May 24th, 2001, 08:01 AM
mimi

Just returned last week from Salzburg. There are at least two companies that offer trips to Hitler's bunker. Your hotel can book your tour if that is how you want to go. I recall that the cost was over $40. for we choose the lake and country tour instead and we used Greyline.

May 24th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Emily

In your question, you use the phrase "Hitler's bunker".....

You can tour the top of the Kelhstein mountain by bus for about 15 DM. This is where the "Eagle's Nest" is located. Tours are given in different languages. Be sure to pick a clear day to do this tour.

Below the site where the busses pick you up for the Kehlstein summit, there are ruins for Hitlers' actual house. These are located below the Hotel zum Turken which is an easy walk from the bus stop. You can also tour the bunker system in the mountain thru an entrance at the back of the Hotel Turken.
Hope this helps!

May 24th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Doug

Emily's right. The Kehlsteinhaus up above the Obersalzburg was only used a couple times by Hitler. The ruins of his home in Berchtesgaden have been bulldozed over. A few parts of some walls remain, but are posted "off limits". Since there's no one ther to enforce these threats you can sneak around. But be careful. The walls are in bad shape. They are crumbling and slippery. To get there from Salzburg, drive toward Berchtesgaden. Follow the signs toward "Rossfeldstrasse". You'll soon come to a mini-traffic circle. Park here. The souvenir stand/restaurant has some nice photos and guides to the entire Nazi bigwig complex. Start by going up the hill to the left of the restuarant entrance. Back in the shrubs you'll find an abandoned concrete guardpost and some ventillation shafts for the bunker. Cross the road and go downhill toward the "Zum Turken" gasthaus. When you see the "Verboten" signs, you'll know you're near Hitler's old house. Not much to see though. Go back up the hill, past the restaurant and on your right you can see the remains of the SS Kaserne. I assume this is where the guys guarding the area slept. The big abandoned building was once the General Walker Hotel. It was a beautiful recreational facility for our troops in Germany during the Cold War. Prior to that, it was called the "Platterhof". It was built to house visitors coming to visit the Fuhrer. I was there 2 years ago and hopefully now the building is being used for a good purpose. If you are really into history, you'll find this stuff fascinating. But if you're like my wife, you'll hop in the car and drive up the Rossfeldstrasse for a grandiose view into Austria and the Alps. By the way, my suggestion will cost you nothing other than the cost of the souvenir stand booklet explaining stuff. You can also take a tour up to the Kehlsteinhaus from here for a few bucks.

May 24th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Bob

We were in the General Walker Hotel a few years ago while it was still a US Army hotel. You entered the bunker from the lobby. Walked through double doors and straight down a steep staircase with gun emplacement facing you looking up. They had a little presentation in the bunker in one of the rooms. I enjoyed the tour. Only furniture left was one turned over safe with a bazooka hole in it that was too large to take out.

We also did the tour from the Turken and visited that area of the bunker. I enjoy history and both were interesting to me. If the Walker is accessable now, do that one. It was better.

The Eagle's Nest is really not a bunker. It is an elevator ride through a mountain to some magnificent scenery. Good beer on top in the restaurant and interesting to see the fireplace with chips taken out of the marble by US Armny troops in 1945.

Note in Berchtesgaden how large the train station is for such a small town. The portion towards the rear with large columns was constructed for Hitler's train and trains of VIPs. Otherwise, they don't need the big station.

Beautiful area. Don't miss a boat ride on the Koingsee Lake on a clear day. If weather not good the Salt Mine tour is fun.

May 27th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Barbara

The General Walker was demolished last year. They now have a museum near it. You can enter the bunker through the museum. The museum is very good. It covers the history of the third Reich.

Oct 11th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Daisy

Where was the General Walker Hotel and the area that is now a museum. In Berchtesgaden? More info please

Oct 11th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Daniel

The so-called Hitler´s Bunkers and Eagle´s Nest are American inventions. Adolf Hitler may have spent a couple of days there, but everything was destroyed during the war.

If you have just one day for day trips from Salzburg, go to Königsee.

If you have two days, go to Eisriesenwelt as well.

Oct 14th, 2002, 08:14 AM
mark

Rob,

Take the bus or the train from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. The bus takes about 45 minutes and the train takes about an hour. The train is direct and I have been told by many that the scenery from the train is nicer than the scenery from the bus. Either way, it is very easy to get to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg.

Don't know how long you have to stay around Salzburg, or if you want to be in a city, but I would suggest that you consider Berchtesgaden for a few days and visit Salzburg from Germany instead of visiting Germany from Austria.

Salzburg is a great city. There is plenty to see and do, but Berchtesgaden has always been a great place for me.

We just got back from a trip to Germany. One of the absolute highlights was the visit to the Eagles Nest and the way we got there. This was my 4th time to the Kehlsteinhaus and I got there a different way this time than the other three times.

There is a chair lift that takes you from downtown Berchtesgaden (About 20 minute walk from the trainstation. Just past the road to the saltmines.)

The chairlift will cost you about 8 Euros for a round trip ride on the chairlift. We were very lucky. The weather that day was absolutely magnificent. The views from thre chair lift are worth the trip by itself.

The chairlift will drop you off so that you will need to take a 2.2 kilometer walk through the woods until you end up on the road that will get you to the bus stop at Obersalzberg. This part of the walk takes another 15 minutes. This was the toughest part of the alk. No shoulder along the road and pretty steep. It was tough to walk even for one of us that was in really good shape.

Be careful not to miss the last chairlift down from the mountain. We caught the last one at 5:30. If you time the trip to the eagles Nest incorrectly and end up at the chairlift late in the day, you will probably miss it and you will end up walking or taking a taxi. If you decide to go the way we went, consider getting on the chairlift by 9:30. That will give you plenty of time to do everything and still get down by late afternoon.

There is a hotel that sits 50 yards from the top of the chairlift. The woman working the chairlift told us that it is one of the best deals in all of Berchtesgaden. Can't remember the name of the hotel. Check with the tourist board in Berchtesgaden. I will be staying at this hotel the next time I go. The views are beautiful. There are plenty of hotels up there that are woth the thought. With a car these would be excellent choices.

Anyway, once you get to the parking lot at Oberslazberg get on the bus that takes you up to the Eagles Nest. The cost for the bus was 11 Euros, roundtrip. The total cost to do it this way was about 20 Euros.

If you are into walking and you are able, consider walking all the way to the Eagles Nest. We were all up for the walk, but there was 2 feet of snow and since we didn't hvae proper shoes, we decided to take the bus from Obersalzberg to the Eagles Nest.

Sit on the left side of the bus. The views are pretty outstanding from that side of the bus.

There isn't much to do at the Kehlsteinhaus. We stayed for 3 hours. We had a great meal up there. The beer is outstanding and the food is surprisingly inexpensive and quite good.

Give yourself some time to explore the area around the bus stop at Obersalzberg. We didn't plan correctly and we ran out of time to check out the bunkers or the museum that they have up there.

Have a great time. Berchtesgaden is definitely one of my favorite places in all of Europe. Plenty to do and a great mid sized town.

Mark

P.S. Check out the Hofbrauhaus in Berchtesgaden. The beer is excellent and the atmosphere was very non-touristy. Food was great and the beer was some of the best that we had during the 2 weeks we were there.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Patrick

If you go to the tourist office at Berchtesgaden, you can set up a small tour (I think a maximum of 10) by mini bus with an American couple who give you the full "Hitler" tour. While the Eagle's Nest was reopened as a tourist attraction, the government tends to play down the Hitler history of the place. This American couple (who also work in the Berchtesgaden tourist office) are authorized to do a full tour. In addition to the Eagle's Nest they also take you to several other sites, including one of the actual bunkers accessed from a private facility. It is true that much of what was associated with Hitler in the area has been quietly destroyed, but these two give a very interesting and thorough tour of what is left and fill in the history as well. It was a total of about 5 hours from the tourist office in town. We had only 8 in our mini van, but we signed up for the only day available two days ahead.