Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone successfully brought their knitting aboard international flights?

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:35 AM
clickclack

I don't seem to be able to concentrate on reading, and knitting is sort of mindless....even while drinking alcohol!

I did hear that there was a type of knitting needle (maybe bamboo???) that you COULD bring on the aircraft.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
I forgot to ask the airline when I just called for the umteenth time with questions (Lufthansa).

Thanks.

Oct 11th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Christina

I think I've read that some airlines are allowing them on board now, but I'd guess it can vary by airline, so I think you should ask Lufthansa directly. Their web site may state their rules, also. I think you could always use those rounded needle loops things, I have read those are okay. I don't see why bamboo would be okay because it would still be a sharp durable point (and bamboo is very strong as I have a jungle in my backyard, unfortunately, I am about to buy pandas), but who knows

Oct 11th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Lorna

My mom tried to smuggle a crochet hook on board for our recent trip to London. She got through security fine until she was overwhelmed by guilt and turned herself in, in true motherly form.

Oct 11th, 2002, 05:58 PM
xx

You can't bring them aboard because they don't want you knitting AFGHANS.

Now Fodors delete it again!

Oct 11th, 2002, 06:34 PM
me

Still funny the 2nd time around.

Oct 14th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Siobhan

My mother quilts and came to visit me in Ireland last March. She realised when she landed that she had some large quilting needles in her bag with her squares. She was shocked they did not find them in the x-ray etc. She had no problem on AerLingus flying to spain and she showed the security and they asked she place in her check in luggage. Just ask at the check in. You can always buy new ones in the city you are staying

Oct 14th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Andrea

Unfortunately, I think the biggest problem is that even if the airline says it's allowed, the staff at the security checkpoints has full discretion and even if something isn't on the disallowed list, they might take them. Worth a shot, though, but I wouldn't bring expensive ones! Good luck!

Oct 14th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Suzanne

I have brought circular plastic needles to and from Europe several times since the security procedures have changed. I've never had a problem. I do have a friend who had her metal needles taken away. I happen to prefer the circular needles anyway so it works out great for me.

Oct 14th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Curious

Just wondering why the circular needles would be less likely to be used as a weapon than the conventional straight needles?

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Jen

Circular knitting needles are usually made up of two knitting needle "points" about 4 inches long, connected by a cable. So as a weapon, they're only 4 inches long, as opposed to the foot-long regular knitting needles.

Also, none of these discussions are differentiating between plastic and metal needles, which might matter to some security people.