Reload this Page >

are taxis plentiful in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:22 AM
sean

How are the taxi cabs in rome? Are we supposed to negotiate the price before we get in the car? Also,can I hail a taxi from the street?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Moonbeam

You can hail a cab from the street or most of the major piazzas will have taxi ranks nearby. DO NOT TAKE any taxi other than offical Rome Taxi with the medallion of the city of Rome on the side. They are metered so there is no bargaining.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:40 AM
adrienne

Hi Sean,<BR><BR>Taxis are plentiful in Rome and you can hail them as they cruise. I would always carry small bills to pay taxis since I had some difficulty getting change from some drivers. When I was there in 2000 most rides within the city were from 6,000L to 11,000; thus taxis are very inexpensive in Rome. I would give a small tip, about 10% over the fare.<BR><BR>Adrienne<BR><BR>

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Jennifer

Hi, Sean.<BR><BR>My experience with cabs in 2000 was quite different. I was told, and confirmed in a guide book (Rick Steves, I think) that one must wait at taxi stands to catch a cab. Taxi stands are plentiful, but other helpful people who saw my husband and me waiting at certain cab stands said that some stands are no longer used, and they don't take the signs down.<BR>It sounds like a big scam or like we were being lied to, but it had to be a pretty big taxi conspiracy for three different people in 3 different parts of Rome to tell us the same thing.<BR>We had a horrible time finding cabs, and trouble with the buses, as well.<BR><BR>My advice is, when in Rome, give yourself LOTS of time to get anywhere, because transportation availability is not reliable. Do not wait until you can't walk anymore to try to catch a cab or a bus, because you may have to walk another 30 - 60 minutes before you get one. The advice you already received - to carry small bills - is also important.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Dianne

I just returned from Rome a week ago. We had no trouble getting a cab at any time, whether by having the hotel desk call or by waiting at a taxi stand in or near one of the piazzas--the wait was never more than 2 or 3 minutes; and they're relatively inexpensive. For three senior ladies, that was THE way to go without having to worry about pickpockets on buses, etc.