Georgian Airways (Tbilisi)

Old Aug 17th, 2019, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Georgian Airways (Tbilisi)

ANYbody who has recently flown Georgian Airways: I need to be reassured that they're a decent airlines and that we're not going to be unpleasantly surprised when we show up for our flights, which we've already paid for.
I'd also appreciate hearing from anybody who may have a legitimate contact (either phone or email) other than the contacts listed on their website, which don't work for me.

My story:

Two days ago, I made reservations with Georgian Airways for RT flights London-Tbilisi-London for next month. Though I was aware that the reviews of GA are mixed, I wasn't particularly concerned. For one thing, it's the only airlines that has direct, nonstop 5-hour flights from anywhere in Europe, and I have no interest in having to spend 8 hours in planes that have connections in Istanbul or Riga.

The issue is that I have a question/problem that I need to clarify/resolve regarding our flights, but I am absolutely hitting a wall trying to contact them. I've emailed them 5 times; they don't respond. I've phoned twice; they don't answer. I've tried to find alternative numbers and/or toll-free numbers without success. As somebody who doesn't usually worry too much about flights and airlines, I'm kind of worried.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 08:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have any answers for you - hopefully someone will. But just an FYI -- Georgia threads / discussions are on the Asia forum so maybe there is some info there.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Asia Forum and tagged for Georgia
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I've read every thread on Georgia, janisj, and couldn't find answers to my questions. But maybe I missed something.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Anybody?
I've now made attempts to contact both embassies as well as destination experts on TA and the author of the definitive Georgia guidebook (Tim Burford with Bradt guidebooks).
So far, zip. Not to mention another email to the airlines unanswered.

Oh well...I guess the scheduled-and-paid-for upcoming flights on GA will be a true test of my ability to roll with the punches, swim with the tide, bleahbleahbleah...
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I flew Turkish into Batumi. Wikipedia seems to think they are safe, but the link they give for contacting the airline goes to the airline's own site.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for responding, thursdaysd.
I'm not so much worried about safety; I've flown enough iffy airlines to have achieved a blissful state of denial when I'm in a plane.
What I'm worried about is reliability: our flight departs Gatwick at 10pm, and apparently GA not only frequently cancels flights but also is not exactly efficient about informing passengers. We're no longer the 30-year-olds who were able to sleep in an airport lounge.
Most importantly, I need to change something on our reservation (something that is within their accepted policy). Which I can't do online, for some stupid reason.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Understood! Me either. If you do get stuck the Yotel may have rooms, if not, check this: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...port-guide.htm
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, thursdaysd. I know it won't be the end of the world, and I know we'll figure something out.
I also know that if the situation arises, we'll both be in stinking lousy rotten moods, no matter how much we might remind ourselves, "This is part of the deal! This is what travel is sometimes! This is how we learn! At least we're not in a jail somewhere! At least we have credit cards and we know where our next meal is coming from! Etc.! Etc.! Etc.!"
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 07:35 PM

LucieV, I'd ask this question (or search) on Flyertalk or at least the air travel board here. Your question is more about an airline than a country.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 08:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The (only) good news is Gatwick is absolutely surrounded by scads of budget chain hotels (lots more than around LHR for example) so you shouldn't be stranded or have to sleep on a bench. Ibis, Travelodge, Courtyard, Premier Inn (there are at least three Premier Inns), HI Express, etc etc etc. And that's not counting the more expensive Sofitel, Hilton, Yotel . . . Yotel is cheap for a couple of hours break, but for overnight it gets pretty expensive since they charge by the hour so you'd probably be better off at one of the full service hotels.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that suggestion, Leely. I've heard of, but never accessed, Flyertalk, so it never even occurred to me. Will definitely go check the site.

janisj, thank you, too, for the accommodations suggestions. TBH, I'm not that worried about finding a place to stay around Gatwick; I'm pretty comfortable in the UK. But I'd be more comfortable if I knew that I could contact Georgian Airways prior to even leaving our hotel in London!