Salzburg Area and South Into Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I plan to spend a few days in Salzburg in July and will then proceed south into Italy (Dolomites) by car. We would appreciate recommendations on accommodations, eating establishments, and attractions. We visited Salzburg (and Vienna) about 10 years ago but have not previously toured the adjacent countryside or the area south into the Dolomites. We are tentatively planning to drive from Salzburg to Hallstatt and then down through Gosau, Lungotz, Zell am See, Heiligenblut, and Lienz before going into Italy. We do not speak German. I know enough German to buy tickets and read most road signs but not enough to hold a conversation.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
ira

Hi L,

I can highly recommend
http://www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home%29 in Salzburg and
http://www.gasthof-simony.at/ in Hallstatt.

When you get to Hallstatt you will find that there is a barrier preventing you from getting to your hotel. You must find the gatekeeper (usually in a small booth near the barrier) who will give you a pass.

Get the Salzburg Card - http://www.salzburg.info/de/sehenswe...urg_card/index

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM

Hi Lyndell -

What a wonerful trip you have planned.

Salzburg - of course walk around, see the Fortress, Mirabell, maybe the Residenz. But it's also a wonderful city for churches if you like architecture. Big ones. Small ones. My favorite is Dreifaltigheit which is baroque in design but, almost uniquely, with no adorment.

I have stayed at the Goldenen Ente which I liked and in some place across the river that was not memorable. I believe the Goldenen Ente has been remoldeled since I was there.

Ther used to be a restaurant attached to a hostel on Monchsberg with a spectacular view of the city but i don't know whether it's still there. Worth seeking out though.

Leisurely morning drive from Salzburg to Hallstatt. Stop in Mondsee or St. Wolfgang for lunch.

In Hallstatt I have stayed at the Simony and at the Zauner. The Zauner is nicer but the Simony is more charming and is right on the lake. Make sure you get a room with a balcony on the lake. I think the Zauner has the best restaurant in Hallstatt, but not on the lake.

You could do the drive straight from Hallstatt to Lienz. Zell am See sounds great - I have never been so have no recommendations there. However, once you have seen Hallstaettersee, Zell am See may seem like a let down. Idea - go to both, and come back and let us know!

The Grossglocknerstrasse - words cannot desribe how amazing this drive is. Take it slow, and try to use the gearshift to slow down going downhill rather than just the brakes. You can burn out the brakes if you are on them too much.

Lienz is a delight. One of my favorite towns in Europe. I stayed at a small place called the Goldener Stern and loved it. South of the river, west side of town. Very old and atmospheric inn, with a garden and a modern annex. There is a great beer garden just over the bridge closest to the hotel. When you cross the bridge, notice how fast the water is flowing. Just outside of Lienz there's Schloss Bruck. which looks great but I got there too late to tour it.

Can't help with the Italian Dolomites.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM

We love the area surrounding Salzburg and have stayed in both Hallstatt and St. Gilgen on Wolfgangsee. Hallstatt will probably be overrun with tourists in July but, if staying overnight, many of the daytripper will be gone by late afternoon.

We have stayed at the Simony, the Zauner and the Seehotel Gruner Baum. The Simony does have more "character" as long as you don't mind mold in your shower, no phone, no TV/radio and slim pickings for breakfast. The location on the lake, however, is probably worth what the hotel itself is lacking. The restaurants at the Zauner and the Gruner Baum are both very good.

In Zell am See, we stayed at the Park Hotel in a comfort double. The hotel is located right across from the Tourist Information Office and a block from the main shops, restaurant, lake, etc. We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

http://www.alpenparks.at/en-parkhotel-zell-am-see.htm
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations. They will be a great help.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM

Ok, you got some good advise how to get to Lienz Whether or not to stop in Zell am See, that's your decision. If you don't mind to splurge, than I would stay at the Grand Hotel.

From Lienz you want to go to Cortina the Anchoroa, botn are fine.

Now you have to decide: If your next stop is Venice, take the direct road (Route b51 to the Autobahn A-27). Grande Giro de Dolimiti (The Grand Dolomite Highway) to the Autobahn A-12, coming from the Brenner Pass and Bolzano. It is truly a grand highway, in good condition,with fabulous scenery. But you can't rush things. Driving the several passes will niot be like driving Interstate Highways. I drove it in two days: Lake Garda to Cortina, and the Cortina to Zell am See, and I was tired, but exhiliareted.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

For Zell am See we can recommend the Pension Alpenrose. Just a short walk from the old town pedestrian zone.

www.pension-alpenrose.com

I may be in the minority, but we like Zell am See much more than Hallstatt. We found Hallstatt good for a day trip and Zell am See good for a couple of days.

Right at the southern terminus of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is Heiligenblut. If looking to stay here, we loved the Pension Ederhof. Just a few min. drive from the village but in an outstanding location.

www.ederhof-heiligenblut.at

From here the drive into the Dolomites is easy. Head to Cortina d'Ampezzo but stay about an hour west in the Alta Badia. We love the Ciasa Montanara in La Villa, Alta Badia.

www.montanara.it

Just a heads up... the Dolomite Passes are as scenic or even more so than the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse (plus they're all free, meaning no toll cost, to drive). Nothing else in the Alps is like the amazing Dolomites.

No need to drive the "Great Dolomite Road" as laid out in guide books. Simply drive a few passes. The Gardena Pass is our favorite. While coming from the east (from the Cortina side) the Giau Pass didn't "wow"me, but once we reached the "top", it was all that and then some! The Sella Pass is another great drive in the area.

We've been to the Dolomites in '03, '05, '06 and '09 and have photo's (3 pages) of all these places at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the added comments.