Reload this Page >

Sorrento vs. Ravello -- thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
gregory

hi there. for our honeymoon, we are spending our first three nights on capri. we then have four nights planned in positano, but i'm wondering if one of those nights (first or last) we would enjoy seeing something a little different. ravello sounds really nice and remote, with the villa cimbrone and the concerts, but sorrento also sounds wonderful, more of a little city if I'm not mistaken.<BR><BR>if we do only positano and ravello, we will have missed a quintessential amalfi experience in sorrento? or is ravello more honeymoon-ish and we won't regret having missed sorrento? any input on which you would choose?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
GAC

I think that Ravello and particularly the 4-star Hotel Villa Cimbrone is IDEAL for honeymooners. You can enjoy the sunrise and sunset from the exquisite gardens of the Villa Cimbrone (and its famous Belvedere) without being disturbed by visitors who are not registered guests of the hotel (the villa's main gates keep them out outside of visiting hours). You can also walk the extensive gardens at night! If you also stay in Positano, you can always visit Sorrento in 45 minutes by bus (and take a late bus back to your hotel). Or, you could visit Positano from Sorrento as a day trip, and enjoy the night life in Sorrento. I'd spend at least one night in Ravello, maybe even two.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:20 PM
Betsy

Ravello. Its beautiful. Sorrento can be quite crowded and doesn't have small village feel to it in my opinion. Ravello is not as touristed.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
Santa Chiara

I would forget Positano and spend my all my time in Ravello or even Sorrento. Positano, for me, is just too touristy. Ravello is remote, but it is the most incredibly beautiful place I have ever been. (For reference points, I live in Italy, love the Northern Coast of California, and Paris is my favorite city in the world, followed by San Francisco.) Having said that, and given my experience in a variety of places, I think the scenery, serenity and tranquility of Ravello cannot be beat. In fact, I would suggest that, if you could, you reverse it and spend your first three nights in Ravello and then go to Capri. <BR><BR>Whatever your decision, you have chosen one of the great places in the world to have your honeymoon. I know you will have a wonderful time.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:44 PM
JB

I second Santa Chiara's sentiments! In my opinion, Ravello would be a perfect honeymoon spot, and Capri would be a nice way to split up the time. Sorrento and Positano are both nice, but in my book not even close to Ravello and Capri, especially since it's your honeymoon. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:57 PM
gg

Don't worry about not seeing a lot of sorrento. It is a easy place to pass though and get an idea of what it is like. Capri and Ravello are wonderful. I stayed in Positano and did day trips to both Capri and Ravello. I wish I stayed at each place longer. Hotel Pulumbo in Ravello is wonderful(even if you don't stay there go for lunch) Serra Nusse (spelling my be wrong) is the best place to stay in Positano, better that Hotel San Pietro. We stayed 5 days in Positano and loved it but we saw it all in 2. I don't know if this is any help at all but Revello and Capri are a must!