Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Southern Italy: Should we stay in Sorrento or Positano

Jul 15th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
Just back from our honeymoon and already planning our next trip to Italy! (I blushingly admit to being the novice poster who posted about the Vatican and "hot pants" just a few short months ago ;-) ).

We'd like to visit:

Pompeii
Herculaneum
Paestum
Naples Archaeology Museum

From all the threads I found, it sounds like either Sorrento or Positano are the places to stay. Are either of these towns more convenient for day travel to the major places we wish to go? Or, did I miss a good alternative city to stay in all together?

Thanks for any and all advice
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:23 PM
kebanks

Congrats on your marriage. Sorrento would be more convenient than Positano to the places you mention (and it's actually quite a nice little city). That said, I'd probably think about adding at least a couple of days in Positano, Ravello or Capri to balance out all those dusty archaeological sites. The Amalfi Coast is definitely worth seeing - quite lovely and very romantic. Tons of info out here on your options. Enjoy!

Jul 15th, 2004, 09:03 PM

Sorrento is a bigger town and considerably closer - and on a major road to - the sites you want to see.

But I agree with the suggestion to spend several days there and then some either on Capri or in one of the tiny towns further down the coast. Getting to the day trip sites from Positano or Amalfi would take considerably longer than from Sorrento - since they're right on the (in)famous Amalfi Drive - on which it can take you forever to get anywhere.
Jul 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tips y'all! I have heard wonderful things about Ravello from this board so we might just stay in Sorrento for our sight-seeing base, and then spend a couple of nights in Positano and in Ravello
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Positano is much nicer--Sorrento is package tour central for the area. But it isn't terrible with some very nice views, and it is more convenient for the places you listed.