Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sorrento to Villefranche - to drive or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

We need some help figuring this out. We will be in in Italy/France for 3 and 1/2 weeks this July. Here's what we are planning to do at this time: Land in Rome - two nights - we've been there before. Next morning - leave for Sorrento where we will be for 7 nights (Friday to Friday) - plenty of time for visiting Capri, Pompeii, our favorite place Massa Lubrense, Amalfi Drive, etc.

Now here's the tricky part - we have from Friday to Saturday to get to Villefranche. We are thinking of leaving Sorrento on Friday morning and driving about half way (about 500km) to Siena or Montepulciano and staying one night and then completing the trip to Villefranche on Saturday.

Is this crazy to attempt to do? Has anyone done this drive or part of it so that we can figure out how long it would take without exhausting ourselves? Should we take a train from Naples or Rome to one of the midway towns for the overnight and then take a train to perhaps Nice? Should we fly from Naples or Rome to Nice?

Any suggestions on how to do this and for a place to stop in the middle would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 03:20 AM
ira

Hi

www.viamichelin.com has a recommended route from Sorrento to Siena that takes 4 1/2 hours and from Siena to Villefranche-sur-mer that takes 5 hr.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Marianna - Bear in mind that you will pay a cross-border drop-off fee for a hire car if you take it to France.
This can be quite high, I believe.

You can avoid this by dropping it near the French border at San Remo, and continuing by train.

It may be cheaper to fly or to travel by train (overnight?).

AIR LITTORAL fly direct Naples-Nice, if they are still operating next year.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:11 AM

The last time we rented a car between France and Italy I think the upcharge was about $120.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Ira, it sounds like we (my husband) could drive the distance between Friday and Saturday with an overnight stop somewhere in the halfway area. He likes to take long (and this one is long) drives. I would rather fly or take a train.

Steve and RonZ, I know about the drop off fee and told my husband. He really wants to drive from Sorrento but maybe he will consider some of the suggestions you mentioned.

Thanks for your help.