Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fine Tune my honeymoon itinerary please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK
New York to Rome (still looking for cheaper airfare)
We are spending three nights in Rome at the Residenza Cellini, we are getting a limo from the hotel to pick us up at the airport.

Next we will probably rent a car and drive to Florence where we are staying at the Hotel Davanzati for three night and one or two nights in Tuscany (probably Siena...any hotel recommendations would be wonderful!). While in Tuscany we are taking the hot air balloon ride/picnic lunch.

From there we are headed to the AC. Do you think train would be best? We have a week there with 4 or 5 nights at the Hotel Miramare in Positano, as well as one night is Ravello (still need a hotel for there as well) and one night in Capri at the Hotel Caesar Augustus. We will then look to fly out of Naples.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM
ira

Hi lisa,

>..we will probably rent a car and drive to Florence ...and one or two nights in Tuscany ...<

Why not drive to Sorrento and leave the car there?

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM

I would train to Florence, stay 2 nites, then get the car and spend 3 nites in Tuscany and keep the car all the way to Sorrento, as Ira suggests.
Nice trip---I want to tag along.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

It seems that the drive from Siena to Sorrento would be a long one...about five hours or so? Is that a good idea considering neither of us has ever driven in Europe before. Is it possible to have a good time in Tuscany without renting a car and just rely on public transportation? And then take a train down to the coast? Thank you so much for all your help!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:35 PM

The ES (EuroStar) train only takes 3 and 1/2 hours from Firenze to Napoli, and it's very comfortable. From Napoli you could
1) take the local train (1 hour) to Sorrento (not very comf. expecially if you're travelling with heavy luggage),
2) rent a car and drive to Sorrento (about an hour),
3) hire a driver...(Ira will suggest you my friend Renato, and I won't say a word ;-) )
Obviously railways end in Sorrento, so NO TRAINS to the AC!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:19 AM
ira

Hi lisa,

If you are concerned about driving, i suggest that you train to Florence, take the bus to Siena (they have luggage compartments) for two nghts, train to Naples via Chiusi (abt 5 hr) and then hire a driver to take you to your hotel and back to Naples airport.

You could even look into a private day tour.

I had good luck with Renato Cuomo
Limousine Service Sorrento www.cuomonet.it

However, Francesco has started his own firm. He might be able to give you a very good price in order to drum up business.
www.francescomarrapese.com

Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Ira: thank you for adding my name , unfortunately that web site is not ready yet!
One advice about Ravello hotels: Palazzo Sasso and hotel Palumbo are top of the line, also try Giordano... The villa Cimbrone (were apparently Greta Garbo spent sime time with her lover) offers spectacular views and also has some rooms.