Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving Sorrento to Pienza - please confirm the time? Or take the train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Amalfi Coast we will be heading to Tuscany for a week with our first stop in Pienza. Viamichelin informs me it will be 4 1/2 hours. Since most of this drive is on the autostrada I would like to believe it's accurate, however I want to hear from someone who has driven this route, or one similar. Barring the unexpected, how long should I plan?

Originally had wanted to take the train to Chiusi and drive from there, allowing our driver the chance to relax for the journey. Due to the car rental company closing in the afternoon, train times, and the fact that we must check in to our hotel between 4-7 I thought driving gives us more freedom. Am I correct this would be the best option?
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM

I can confirm the 4 1/2 hours.

We drove from Montalcino to Sorrento, leaving at 9:30am and arriving at 4pm with a liesurely lunchtime diversion to Tivoli.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM

I agree you should drive it but I would allow more time. Actually, I would plan for lunch in Orvieto---you have to drive into town from the west. I would be at Orvieto by 1300 and plan on 2 hours there--then you are only about an hour from Pienza.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 07:24 AM

We are also planning to drive from Sorrento into the Tuscan region next Sept. We hope to make it leisurely and would love suggestions for some not to miss sights. We would love to see Florence for a day....however, our trip is mostly easy and driving. We think Siena would be nice and several other Tuscan towns. We will eventually end up in Venice and have about 1 week to do this. I know many of you have made this journey and we are open to your suggestions and value each and every one of them.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
bogger - You might want to start your own thread with "suggestions where to stop between Sorrento and Pienza (or where you want to go)" in the title.