Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Orvieto To Sorrento - help please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello: Our family of four will be doing some traveling by train and some by car (intentionally). We will drive to Orvieto from Fiumicino via the A1. We'll then head South to Sorrento and were wondering if there might be a more scenic route to take than the A1 /E45? We would like to make a stop at Civita but have not targeted any other places on the route South. With two children (ages 10 & 16) we don't want the drive to become toooo long but, at the same time, don't want to miss anything of real interest along the way. Any input greatly appreciated.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:37 PM

From Orvieto you could cut west to the coast and catch the Via Aurelia down to stop at Ostia (near Rome) before continuing down to Sorrento.
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shoonye. Would it make sense for us to continue along the coast after Ostia or try to get back over to the A1? Has anyone stopped at Nettuno?
Thanks again..........
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Just so you know, I've not been there myself but researching the same area for my trip in September.

What I've learnt is that driving gets a little rough down south of Rome as you near Naples. It is probably better to get back to the A1 once you're past Ostia.

I had another thought for you. Via Aurelia is a scenic drive and also one of the ancient roman roads (besides being toll-free). You could do this stretch when driving from Rome to Orvieto and on the way back to Sorrento just stick to the autostrade since this is a considerably longer distance (an extra 2.5 hrs from Rome to Sorrento).

Also if you start early and have the inclination you could stop at Pompeii for a quick peep before riding into Sorrento.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

hi again shoonye. thanks for your thoughts. You may have an idea there. I was thinking, after having flown all night, that I would look for the quickest way to get up to Orvieto but the other route, along the coast, may be a bit more laid back and certainly more scenic. Forgive my ignorance - you mention the "Via Aurelia" - what is that - the "seaside route", which looks like route 1?
And back to the road south - maybe we will hit Civita when leaving Orvieto and then make our way back over to the A1 and head straight for Sorrento. We will be visiting Pompeii- for sure - while staying in Sorrento. Thanks for the ideas shoonye.