Should I skip Sorrento?

Search

Should I skip Sorrento?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I skip Sorrento?

Have a 14 day trip planned end of Sept/early Oct. We are 2 single f friends. This is the plan so far, Arrive Milan go directly to Bellagio for 2 nights, then 2 nights Venice, 3 nights Florence, 1 night Assisi, 2 nights Sorrento and 4 nights Rome. Should I skip Sorrento and add one night to Assisi and another night possibly in San Gim or Siena? Comments and Suggestions welcome. Thanks Mary
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:34 PM

marymac,
i haven't been to assisi or san gim or siena, but i would say that sorrento is worth the trip even if thats as far down the amalfi coast as you get. from sorrento you can go to capri for a day also, a magical experience.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Hi Marymac,

Six locations in 14 days is about three locations too many. Although I liked Sorrento I would stay another 2 nights in Venice which is so much more magical than Sorrento. Alternately, you could spend one more night in Venice and another night in one of the other towns on your intinerary. I certainly wouldn't add any more towns to the itinerary otherwise you'll end up spending your time traveling place to place rather than seeing the places that are important to you.

adrienne
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Marymac,

Personally I'd keep the two nights in Sorrento and possibly add a third night. Adjustment that I'd suggest on your itinerary would be to drop the two nights in Bellagio; once you land in Milan, head directly to Venice. Stay there for three nights; then continue onward. You could then choose between adding that extra night in Sorrento as I said OR adding another night in Florence (4-nights). If you want to explore Siena and/or San Gimignano, that can easily be done as a daytrip from Florence.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I totally disagree with the previous poster. I'd drop the two nights in Sorrento and definitely keep the Bellagio part of the trip intact.
As much as I like Sorrento, you've created a itinerary that, to me, is a little too hectic and Sorrento is a bit out of the way!
I'd add ad extra day to the Tuscany/Umbria area or to Venice (or one night each).
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Surely you must know the old and true adage: the more you travel, the less you see. Simplify your itinerary. Spend less time "on the road" and spend more time soaking up the local scene. Unless Sorrento has changed a lot since the last time I was there, well, you get the idea.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:58 PM

I agree with Howard in his statement that Sorrento is a bit out of the way; and that's why I suggested you give it three nights rather than two. To get there from Assisi will be a full travel day (assuming you're going via train). I'll admit that I have quite a fondness for the Amalfi Coast region and therefore my suggestion is colored by the prejudice. However, I was guessing that one of your reasons for wanting to go down there is to visit Pompeii ???
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Hey Marymac: I love Sorrento but I agree with the previous posters that you are trying to cover too much ground. Would suggest adding days to Venice, Florence, and/or Rome and leave Sorrento for another trip.
You WILL go back, and you can make Sorrento your base for going to Capri, Pompei, the Amalfi Coast, and the Greek ruins as Pasteum.
And then for your third trip.....
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:03 PM

I'm with USNR. You want to remember your time in Italy, not see it as a blur. I adored Sorrento, but plan a different trip that takes you south for most of the time.
I really liked Assisi; and I would also recommend Arezzo, Perugia, Todi and Spoleto is you're doing the Umbrian thing (and I adore the Umbrian "thing!&quot
You can add Siena or San Gimignano or Lucca and just make this a north/northcentral trip.
In order to plan comfortably, embrace what we all know to be true...you are powerless against Italy. You will go back. You don't have to see it all the first time! So try for the shortest distances between events so the most time is soaking it up! Leave a little slack so you can add a day here or there if you're enchanted (or when) with a particular place.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Tess, it's so nice to disagree and be pleasant and civil about it! The only reason I urged the dropping Sorrento was the travel/logistics factor. We love the Amalfi coast. However, and as previous posters have said, save it for the next trip!
We love the Lake Como area so much, I would consider adding a day there!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Good advice here...I agree with most of it.

I do think that while Venice is a lovely city, if you are two single female friends, it may be a bit quiet for you. The nightlife isn't as vibrant as some of the other places (if that even matters to you), and while it is very romantic, that will probably not be much of a draw to you (however if you were going with a sig. other, I would definitely say add another night. ;-) )

The Amalfi coast is lovely, but I don't think two nights are enough there...only because Sorrento is just the tip of the iceberg. Positano, Amalfi, etc will require either a bus ride, car rental, limo hire, or for the ballsy, scooter rental. Sorrento in and of itself, to me, is not enough of a draw to take me to the Amalfi coast.

I am from the camp that moving a lot is fine, but that's personal preference. I do agree that taking out one locale from your itinerary will make it a more pleasant journey.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Yes, indeed, you are spreading yourself thin. About Siena, I found it fascinating. I need to go back for more time in Florence. Whatever you do in Italy, you will love it, and remember if you want pizza to look for a sign that says al forno (wood fired oven). It's the best.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:19 PM
dln

Will you tell us if you must fly home from Milan? If you can leave from Rome, then you could consider Sorrento. Bear in mind, though, that you must switch trains in Naples to the local line, and then you still have an extra hour to go. Your two nights in Sorrento might eat up a bit more time than you might want allot it.

If you stay in a centrally located spot in Tuscany you can visit Florence, Assisi, Siena and San Gim as day trips. You will cut down on your packing and unpacking! However, you'd really need a car at your disposal.

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 02:42 AM

While the Amalfi Coast south of Sorrento is very worthwhile and beautiful, the town of Sorrento itself is nothing special. With only 14 days total, I wouldn't spend the extra travel time to go that far south for a 2 night stay. I'd skip it and add at least one of those days to Venice--preferably both.

On our first trip to Venice we spent 4-1/2 days and didn't even have time to visit such prime sights as the Accademia, Guggenheim, Correr, and Naval museums or any of the lagoon islands (Murano, Burano, Torcello, San Michele, etc.).

Don't make the mistake of thinking that Venice is only the Grand Canal, the Rialto Bridge, the Accademia, and the sights in and around Piazza San Marco.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all posters. We will have a car until Rome, so not worried about schedules. Crazymina, thats exactly what I was thinking about Venice, I know its a romantic spot, but alas going with a friend, so evening strolls and the like are not really a draw. I know a lot of fodorites like to spend time in one place, but I like to drive around and experience the different areas. That way on my next trip I'll know where I want to spend more time. Mary