Search

Sorrento Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento Hotels

Can anyone help me compare the Grand Hotel Cocumella/Hotel Minerva and Hotel Grand Vesuvio for views and location? need to confirm reservations help greatly appreciated. LD
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:32 PM

As I remember it, the Grand Hotel Cocumella is on the way out of town. I don't know what kind of views you could expect to have from there. Sorry-- I don't know the others you mentioned.

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks, maybe some info will turn up! this is all so confusing and where you stay is so important you dont want to mess it up.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:30 AM

The Cocumella is a beautiful old 5 star hotel just outside Sorrento in a little place called Sant Agnello. The views over the sea to Mount Vesuvio are amazing! If you stay here make sure you ask for a room with a sea view & a terrace. Quite pricey! The Hotel Vesuvio is very different. It is a 4 star modern building about 15 - 20 minutes walk in the St Agata direction out of Sorrento (uphill on the way back!!). If you ask for a room with a sea view you'll just about catch a glimpse of it in the distance! It's a very nice hotel though and the service was excellent last time I stayed there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank You so much for the info. Are we going to be able to walk into town or will be have to use a taxi?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:34 AM

Walking or taxi (or bus even!) depends on you - some people may think it's a long way, others would happily walk it!! The Cocumella, for me at least because I'm not a great walker, is a definite bus-ride or taxi affair. I guess it would take about 25-30 minutes to walk into Sorrento town centre, but other fodorites might have a different view! It's not a pretty walk and the traffic is quite close to the pavement and very noisy! The Vesuvio is, as I said before, about a 15 minute walk, downhill going into town, uphill coming back. The road as you near the hotel has no pedestrian pavement (or at least it didn't last time I was there a couple of years ago!) and can be quite dangerous. However, if you're careful it can be quite a nice stroll in the daylight. I didn't much enjoy walking back at night though. The bonus with the Vesuvio is their free shuttle bus into town and back. They are quite frequent and the bus driver was a real character! I'm not sure but maybe the Cocumella offers a similar service..........? There's the public bus service too, of course. Allora,I know you'll love it, wherever you decide to stay!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:33 AM

LauraW I'm having the same worries! I'm trying to decide between the Eden, the Minerva and Settimo Cielo. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:59 AM

We absolutely loved Grand Hotel Cocumella. The place is fabulous. The views from the hotel are wonderful and the previous poster was accurate about Vesuvias. We did not have a view of the water from our room (which is a rarity for us), but it hardly mattered. The hotel rooms are nice in and of themselves. We just found the hotel and grounds to be enchanting. Romantic even. You can get a room with a view, however.

You would need to take a taxi from Cocumella to "downtown" Sorrento. It's no big deal. Quite short and not expensive. Walking would not be a favorable choice as the previous poster was correct about the traffic being close and no sidewalks etc.

Enjoy. It's a great place.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:44 AM

If it's not too rude, may I ask why the Cocumella when there are several other options right in town? Are you getting a great deal?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:04 AM
dln

Weadles, LauraW doesn't say when she's going to Sorrento, but if she goes in September, as we did, the fact that the Grand Hotel Cocumella is a mile from the town center might be a blessing!

We stayed at Il Nido, way up on the hill above the town, and it was wonderful to be out of the way of the hustle and bustle. Sorrento was packed with tourists and it was a relief to escape from them! We used the shuttle and it ran so frequently that we were not the least inconvenienced.

In regard to all the other hotels mentioned, I pulled out my Sorrento map and took a look. The Eden has the best location if you want to be in the thick of things, as it's so close to the big street, Corso Italia. The Minerva and Settimo Cielo are located in a cluster of hotels on the road high above the Marina Grande on the west side of town. We walked by them every day on our tramp down from Il Nido. The views are wonderful from these hotels! It's just a stroll into town. The road is fairly busy all the time but I do remember a sidewalk, so you'll be out of the way of the traffic. The Vesuvio is farther up the road around the hairpin bend--I'd use the shuttle service for them.

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM

I just booked at the hotel tramontano in sorrento have you looked at that location. It had some favorable reviews on other websites.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:32 AM
dln

akakari, you've done really well for yourself! That hotel is close to the beautiful Bellevue Syrene. It's within walking distance to everything. Marina Grande is just to the west of it (you can hire a boat for sightseeing there) and Marina Piccolo where the ferries dock is to the east. There are nice gardens and incredible views from your hotel!

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:34 AM

Do you prefer the bellevue to the tramontano. I believe the prices were very close.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:43 AM
dln

Akakari, we didn't stay in either; we only passed by them while strolling around Sorrento. The hotel you've booked in is in a more private, quieter setting, even though they're very close, streetwise. I've hardly heard anything but praise for the Bellevue Syrene, and it's smack dab in the middle of all the action.

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:06 PM

Akakari,

We stayed at the Tramontano last July, and were very happy with it. Just make sure you ask for a room overlooking the Bay of Naples-- it's spectactular!

We chose the Tramontano over Bellevue Syrene because it had a pool, and slightly lower rates. The location was perfect for us-- about ten minutes from the main drag, Piazza Tasso, and less than that from the old town. My only complaint is that the front desk wasn't as informed as it should have been, but that was no big deal. I think you'll be very pleased.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:43 PM

We stayed in the Hotel Minerva in 2002 and loved it. The walk into town is about 20 minutes, but we are in our 50s and found it to be no problem.{Actually did the walk twice a day) We had a view of the bay and Vesuvius which was magnificent.These rooms had lovely balconies We found the staff to be very courteous and helpful.