Sorrento hotel-Via Capo or downtown?

Jan 4th, 2006, 02:47 PM
loc
Original Poster

Sorrento hotel-Via Capo or downtown?

We will be staying a week in Sorrento without a car in late Sept. Looking at hotels, the best views seem to be in the hotels on Via Capo up and out of the town. Having no frame of reference, how easy is it to get into town from these places without constant hikes up and down hills? Is it better to forgo the views and stay in town?
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM

The best views are on Via Capo, you are right about that. There is no hiking involved to get to the hotels, just a sidewalk alongside the road. It is a bit uphill but not a real climb or a very long way.

You can still have views from hotels in town, but the best views in my own humble opinion are from that area.
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM

I'll second everything SeaUrchin said in her post.

The last time we were in Sorrento, we stayed at the Grand Hotel Capodimonte at the top of the Via Capo. The view was astounding.

This year, we have reservations at the Aminta, again, at the top of the Via Capo. We had given a lot of thought into staying at a hotel in town, but the thought of waking up in the morning, and not seeing Mount Vesuvius was not acceptable.

The walk to/from town is just fine...about 5-8 minutes, and going downhill is a breeze!
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM

IAMKANE, do you remember the scruffy little La Minervetta hotel on via Capo?
Well, after alot of tweeks, look at it now! unbelievable! It is now a four star. When I stayed there it was barely a one star.
http://www.laminervetta.com
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM

SeaUrchin,

WOW, what a transformation and the use of windows in the rooms to capture the view is fabulous...just my style. The ugly duckling has turned into a beautiful swan!

I sent them an e-mail for a quote on their room rate; however, we need one quad room, and it doesn't look like they have quads. We'll probably end up staying at the Aminta with a sea view.

Jan 5th, 2006, 10:54 AM
bellastarr

Re the Minervetta:
I stopped by the Minervetta last September to admire the changes. A friend from the Massalubrense area is an old friend of the owners, and suggested I go take a look.....I had stayed there a few years ago over Christmastime, and my room had a spectacular view of the fireworks on New Year's Eve and the Marina.
The family who was then managing the place (for many years) has moved on, and the son of the original owner took charge of redoing everthing. He has a background as a cinematographer, and has worked real miracles, the new Minervetta just glows with color, warnth and charm! When I entered the lobby and sitting area and the terrazza beyond, it just took my breath away! Every single detail is infused with glorious color, life and new energy!
I saw the room where I had stayed previously, and couldn't even recognize it!
The walk up and down the takes about 15 minutes or so, not too bad at all. I did it on foot a few times, both day and night, without problems.
I like this part of town also, because of its access to Massalubrense, and because of the wonderful views.

Jan 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM

You might want to consider Hotel Belair, which is on the right side of the road and has therefore nothing between the view and the sea - it's a smallish family-run hotel, very comfortable, very welcoming, lovely food. The only setback is: the pool is rather small but opening one's bedroom window in the morning (all rooms have seaview) and looking straight at Vesuvius is a wonderful start of the day. Also the restaurant is on the top floor and has the best view any restaurant can have.