Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Capir

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read almost all the posts regarding this area and have found all of the information very helpful, but I am still undecided and would appreciate input from others that are familiar with the area.

We will be in this area for 9 days. I was originally going to base in Sorrento for these 9 days, but now am second guessing myself and am wondering if we should stay on AC for several days and Capri 2 days.

We depart out of Naples at 12:50 pm. If we stay in Sorrento or Capri and we depart for Naples early in the morning, I think that should be sufficient, or should we overnight in Naples?

Many thanks to everyone for their posts.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't stay on Capri the night before a flight. There's always a chance (however slight) that ferry service will be disrupted, delayed or cancelled.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Jean,
Thank you so much for your response.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM

I would pick 2 base location in that time---you pick em.
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Camelot:
I agree with Jean; don't staay in Capri the night before your flight.
I agree 2 days in Capri will be good,and may be you can do 3 or four days in Amalfi or Positano(I prefer Amalfi); and the remaining(last days of your stay) in Sorrento;closer and easier to reach Napoli for you flight.
No doubts you will enjoy this trip; there is a report of our visit in 2009 that you can read if you like:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...1-to-oct-3.cfm
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:05 AM

We live on Ischia, another islands in the Bay, from where we've a very similar hydrofoil or ferry crossing to Naples - and wouldn't dream of having to have a night ashore before a 12:50 flight!

Even more so if this is still for late August?

However, unless there's any pressing reason not to, you could equally well begin on Capri, and then go to Sorrento or somewhere on the AC, as do it all the other way round?

But that's not to say you've necessarily picked the right island...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/procida1

Peter
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:22 AM

Most people will tell you to split up the time and spend some nights in Positano, Capri, etc. But we spent 8 nights in Sorrento and if (when) we return we will do it that way again. In some places having a base and doing day trips means a lot of boring travel to and from. But here, the getting there IS part of the experience and not at all boring. We did day trips to Capri, Naples, Pompei, Amalfi, Positano and Ravelo. We did some of them twice, we did boats and buses and it was great to see the Amalfi Coast both from the land view (bus) and water view (boat). You have one more day than we did, I'd go visit Peter (or at least his island). Some people will say spend that last night in Naples, but I wouldn't bother with a new hotel. Naples is an easy day trip from Sorrento, and getting to the airport from Sorrento for that flight should be doable.

Here's my trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Isabel, thank you for your suggests. I totally agree with getting there is the fun. I am still unsure...I still have a litlt time but I would like to start making our reservations. I (we) have decided to not have more than 2 hotels. I am looking so forward to returning to Italy. We have been to Venice, Modena, cinque terre, throughout Tuscany, Florence and Rome.

Your photos are fab!
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Even though they're individually smaller, and less convenient as bases for touring, most people fall in love with the towns and villages of the Amalfi Coast - and you may well regret not allowing yourselves a some time there?

If you haven't already seen it, there's a useful 'Travel Directory' covering both the Sorrento side of the peninsula and Amalfi Coast area - which you can download from...
http://www.costiera.it/images/pdf/Tr...rectory_En.pdf

It's well overdue for an update, so do cross-check any times, prices etc - and ignore all references to the 'Metro del Mare', at least for now... as it may not be operating this year!

If you can bear just a few more numbers, a couple of other things perhaps worth noting before you make a decision...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/138495555

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

Peter
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Isabel, After reading your trip report, I have been looking at ulisse. This is something that I would never have considered, not being snobbish but you usually you get what you pay for however after reading all of the positive reviews, I am considering it and keep looking for any negatives. I did read on one review that you pay for air conditioning and it didn't work very well. This may be enough to discourage me as we are traveling in late August. Did you have any bad experience with the air conditioning?

Many thanks to all who contribute. It is an incredible travel tool.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 01:40 AM

If you stay in Sorrento could be better. You can take the train (www.vesuviana.it) and reach Naples in 1.45min. Once in Naples you can take a taxi and reach the int airport. I think this is the better solution.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 03:09 AM

If it were me, (that is if you do not arrive late evening in Naples) I would first stay 3 or 4 days on the Amalfi coast (maybe in Positano or Praiano or Furore or Amalfi town), 2 days in Capri and 3 or 4 days in Sorrento, in that order, so that on the last day you can easily take the train back to Naples from Sorrento (as another Fodorite suggested) without the additional hassle of taking the ferry crossing from Capri.

Try and find hotels/B&Bs in both Sorrento and Amalfi coast that are on the coast or have beautiful coastal views - both are different, AC with its lovely cliffs and its famous towns and villages hanging on the coast, and Sorrento coast with its lovely view of the Bay of Naples and the Vesuvius.

From AC you might be interested in visiting Positano, Montepertuso, Amalfi, Ravello, Minori, Maiori etc, and from Sorrento you might want to visit Sorrento itself, surrounding towns like Vico Equense (where there is the famous Pizza al Metro retaurant and also another good restaurant called Vic's Street - I was there in 2010) and Massa Lubrense, Pompeii, Vesuvius, Naples etc.

Enjoy your holiday whatever you decide, you are going to a really beautiful region of Italy!!