Son wants 1/2 day trip to Stonehenge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not one of my usual questions. Son and GF are heading to London tomorrow for a quick week's get away. GF who has never been wants to see Stonehenge, so they will need a half day tour. I've done the research and think their best and cheapest tour option (with student discount) is through Premier, which offers a 1/2 day starting at Victoria coach station for 43 quid. Winter schedule it leaves around 10:45 a.m. Partly independent it does include audio headsets once there.

Any comments? Better deals? Better companies?
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 09:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are relatively few half day tours since most pile on Bath and or Windsor. Other than taking the train to Salisbury and the local stonehenge bus, that is probably as good as they will find.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Meant to add . . . That will really be a full day tour. It will eat up the whole day anyway since it doesn't depart til late morning.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...an-your-visit/

as jansj says, "get on the train then bus gus", if you start early enough you can go back to Salisbury and see the greatest cathedral in Christendom which they built 14 minutes walk from the station.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YOu aren't going to find one cheaper than that, I'm sure.

Evan Evans Tours has a half day Stonehenge tour that leaves a littler earlier, around 9:30, which is also mainly just transportation. But that still is going to take up most of the day if you don't get back until 3-4 pm. Maybe that's okay and you don't expect to find one where you are back around lunchtime. Their website seems to be down right now, they are near Victoria station also, but I think it costs more like 50-60 GBP.

this is the listing on TA for that trip
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...n_England.html

It's just transportation, they can't be that different. I believe you are referring to this one which isn't really 43 GBP though, that's a child price. Looks like 50 for students.
https://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours...ate=2019-10-21
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 06:34 PM

This tour sounds like a good deal. My friend and I took a tour that included Windsor and Bath so it was a long day. If they only want Stonehenge, this tour sounds good.

There is a bus from the visitors center out to where the stones are and I would advise that they take it. I forget what it cost but it was insignificant. A lot of people elected to walk and it is a very long walk out there and not that they aren't very fit, it will take time and to me that's time I could spend at the site. They have a good gift shop also. Junk, but also some fun interactive games for kids,. good books and such.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 07:30 PM

We did a London Walks tour of Salisbury and Stonehenge and loved it. Our guide was great.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 07:53 PM

Although they only go on certain days, I would also recommend London Walks. They’re probably the best company to do a day tour with.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I'll check out London Walks as well. I told them they'd need to take the shuttle from the Visitor's Centre and I believe the bus driver will say the same thing.

If it wasn't going to be rainy this week in London, I'd recommend to them taking the train to Salisbury and then the bus IF they could get audio headsets from the VC. The cathedral is quite magnificent!
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Just checked out London Walks for Stonehenge and Salisbury. Unfortunately, it concluded October 8th for the winter. But thanks for the rec!