Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Two and a half week vacation with two older teenagers next December! One wants to walk across the top of the Sydney Bridge, the other wants to go to New Zealand. Any help on the itinerary would be most helpful!

Two and a half week vacation with two older teenagers next December! One wants to walk across the top of the Sydney Bridge, the other wants to go to New Zealand. Any help on the itinerary would be most helpful!

Jan 7th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Tracy

I know that we should not be going to both countries in 2 1/2 weeks however, we would like to squeeze in a bit of Australia and spend most of our time in New Zealand. If anyone has any great ideas, it would be most helpful. We like B & B's and would like to stay at a sheep farm as well.

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Graeme

As a New Zealander who lives in Australia I hope I can give you unbias advice.Obviously you would like more time but you do not have it.The reality is that while Australia is a great place,it is also huge so you will only see a small part of it.New Zealand has a huge variety of interesting things fairly close to each other.Suggested itinery,Arrive Auckland,2 Nights,Rotorua 2 nights,Wellington 2 nights,Christchurch 1 night Queenstown 3 nights back to Christchurch 1 night fly to Melbourne 2 nights, Sydney 2 nights. Fly home.I would call this a skeleton that you could flesh out.In terms of getting around it is the most logical way to travel.I am sure others will have suggestions.I am just trying to give you somewhere to start.Good luck.

Jan 7th, 2003, 07:19 PM
kelly

Hi Tracey~ I love The Pear Tree Cottage B and B in Queenstown and only once did we not stay there and was sorry. Absolutely the best people ever and their cottage is just so very special. The Last Straw Cottage in Nelson is also very lovely and the breakfast is fabulous. If you plan to go to Rotorua or Russell- Bay of Islans area, let me know and I will look up the very special B and B's we stayed there as well, my memory is fading for the names but not the homes! Overall, really really trust the advice about picking one country or the other. You will not do either justice. Cheers, Kelly

Jan 8th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Mel K

Tracy - How about flying into Sydney, spending 4-5 days there, then hi-tailing it to NZ for the rest of the trip? We've done this, and it can work if you limit your Oz travels to one place only (Sydney in this case - great city by the way, and as a rule, I don't like cities). I've been to both the North and South islands of NZ and hands down (in my humble opinion that is) the South Island is the nicer of the two - keep in mind though, I don't like cities.......There's just so much to see and the scenery really is a feast for the eyes....

Jan 8th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Dick

Two older teens will LOVE Queenstown.

Beautiful town geared for active "outdoorsy" people .

Jan 9th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Tracy

Hi Tracy

If you do end up in Sydney, make sure that you climb the bridge! It is a really great experience, very safe, not at all strenuous and the guides are very good in terms of information about bridge and the city as well as looking after people who may be a bit nervous of heights. Only after having kitted ourselves out and signed the waiver of liability did someone in our group admit to being scared of heights, but insisted on going ahead. Okay I bullied them! But the guide was great, and our nervous climber said that they were really pleased they had stuck it out and completed the climb.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:39 PM
lu

You and your teens would probably like the harbour- cruise on the Bounty, a replica of the famouse square rigger www.thebounty.com or take the fast jet 40 min trip with thrills and 360 degree spins- have a surfing lesson at Bondi or Manly - have a picnic at Mrs Macquaries Chair>stunning views -take the Rocks walking tour- go to the markets there-take a skytour athe AMP Tower centrepoint-visit Vaucluse House-go to Paddington markets on saturdays-catch a river cat to Parramatta to visit Elizabeth Farm --many other activities/details in www.visitnsw.com.au

Jul 30th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Thanks everyone. We have narrowed down the trip to this so far:

sydney-4 nights

fly up to Cairns early on day 5-this only leaves the afternoon

fly to Lizard Island for 3 nights

fly to Auckland, arrive late at night.

rent car in the morning and drive to rotorua but stopping to blackwater raft with the glow worms first.

stay rotorua 2 nights-hangi feast and thermal area

fly to Queenstown,arrive at 12:45, rent car and drive to Te Anau, spend the night

drive to Milford sound, take boat trip and drive to Queenstown. (this will be a long day)

3 nights in Queenstown

1 night in Christchuch

home!

Jul 30th, 2003, 10:31 PM
mjs

I have just a few comments. Sydney requires at least 3 full days. You will also probably have to factor in the fatigue factor (assuming you are flying in from North America) when you arrive in Sydney. Lizard sounds good although I understand it will be quite hot. You can fly from Cairns to Christchurch and I believe Queenstown but not on every day. Given your time issues I would consider skipping Auckland/Rotorua and flying directly to the South Island. I should say I did like Waitomo but I think I would leave the North Island for another trip. This would give you more time on the South Island and perhaps you could do Haast pass, the Glaciers and the west coast on your way to Christchurch.
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:59 PM
Janese

I have been reading these posts and agree with the last writer that the South Island of NZ would be the best bet and if you can fly from Cairns to Christchurch then do that as that will save you sooooooooooooo much time.
I cannot believe that ANYONE would suggest coming to Australia and only going to Sydney. As a city it is lovely but as a city that represents Australia it is NOT - NO-WAY - ANYWAY, you just might as well stay where you live and look at the pictures of the Opera House and the Bridge instead. I am so glad that you have decided to see the GBR area and what a great contrast with the South Island of NZ that will be!

Jul 31st, 2003, 03:00 PM
Janese

PS Just going to Sydney would be the same as flying in Miami in the USA and saying that you have seen what the US has to offer........