10 days in Crete

Oct 21st, 2019, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

10 days in Crete

In September, we visited Crete for 10 days. We stayed in each of the 3 main cities for 3 nights each - Rethymno, Chania, and lastly Heraklion.

In Rethymno, we stayed in a hotel called Palazzo Vecchio, which is a very nice hotel with its own parking and terrific location. Itís very close to the shore, the old town, and the famous fortress.

In Chania, we stayed at the Irida Hotel, which is about a 1 KM walk from the center of town, and was the nicest hotel of our stay.

In Heraklion, we stayed at the Aquila Atlantis, which is a large and lovely hotel located right near the main port. It was very difficult to find and we drove around for quite a while trying to get on the right street. The hotel has its own parking, which is small and very limited, but the staff does its best to help you park. If the lot is full, they will double-park your car in the middle of the lot and take charge of the keys, so they can move the car, if necessary.

All 3 hotels offer breakfast in the basic room price, and they were all good, but the best and most varied was at the Aquila Atlantis.

Crete is lovely in September. The weather is still warm, with very little rain (we had none), and most of the summer tourists have gone home. The people are super friendly and English is widely spoken. We visited several beaches, and ate in lots of good restaurants. For more details and pictures, check out my web page about this trip.

A 10 DAY VISIT TO CRETE, GREECE

The Old Venetian Port in Chania
Oct 21st, 2019, 05:36 AM

Thanks for posting your TR! Sounds like a wonderful vacation. I'll take a look at your link later when I have more time.
Oct 21st, 2019, 05:40 AM

thanks for posting! I hope to plan a trip to Crete within the next few years, so I will save your link.
Oct 21st, 2019, 08:57 AM

Crete has a mountainous, rugged interior and great beaches on its south side. Being much bigger than many of the other Greek islands, it is easy to get away from the crowds. There were still plenty of tourists around when I visited at the end of September 2018, which meant that restaurants and other services were still fully staffed.