Son going to Germany in July

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Son going to Germany in July

My son and friend are planning a July trip to Germany and other parts of Europe to visit exchange students that they have known during their hs years. I have been told that the World-Cup Soccer Matches are in Munich in July. Is this true? And, what kind of complications can they expect when looking for hostels and cheap lodgings? What about airfare? Cheapest we've seen so far is $1100. Surely it will go down some??? Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. He will be flying from KC probably to Munich.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM

World Cup starts in June and finishes in July. The games are in *Germany* meaning Munich is not the only city hosting matches. You can get the schedule of games at the FIFA website.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

The good news is that most of the matches are actually in June. The playoffs/finals are in July on July 1, 4, 5, 8 and 9.

They can expect many complications due to the World Cup and should definitely have reservations prior to their arrival.

I also would not count on the price going down much (if at all)...summer is peak, and it's even peak-ier with the World Cup!

Great time to go, though, if you're a soccer fan. They will have a blast regardless.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM
hsv

The Football World Cup 2006 will be held throughout Germany.

Matches commence on June 9th with the opening match between Germany and Costa Rica in Munich.

The finals will be held on July 9th in Berlin.

Last match in Munich is the semi-finals on July 5th.

I seriously doubt that airfares will go down for the period of the WC and some time before and after.

Also cheap lodging will be a problem in cities where matches are being played (and in surrounding areas, too).

The WC is one of the biggest sports events in the world, even if it might be of little significance to Americans. It's going to be quite a party and being here should be fun. However, it will differ significantly from other times.

Go to

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html

for the schedule of the World Cup.

Or search here on Fodor's - I posted the schedule for the group games on two threads:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...nses=0&start=0

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ses=11&start=0
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:40 PM

hsv... There are a *few* of us Americans who are so excited about the World Cup that we're using vacation days to stay home and watch the matches on TV - count me in as one of them.

On the average though, I would agree with your statement...sad as it may be.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I'm intrigued at this theory that the World Cup (not the football World Cup: The World Cup)will increase airfares.

It clearly has no impact on the cost of flying from HK to Taiwan, or from NY to LA. So what airfares do people think will be inflated?

From England to Germany: well maybe, but the number of available seats at England matches is a mere drop in the ocean of the number of plane seats between Britain and Germany. And we can be pretty sure few Scotsmen wil be making the journey.

From Brazil to most of Europe: a bit (most Brazilians can't afford to travel to Rio, never mind the Ruhr). From France to Cologne: well, for many Frenchmen it's a great deal easier to drive or get a train.

But how on earth are the three and a half North Americans who've ever even heard of the world's most important sporting event going to have any effect at all on trans-Atlantic fares?

No doubt German hotels will be tricky during the busiest part of the Cup (though by June 24, most teams will be knocked out, most supporters will be on their way home, and more will progressively disappear ovef the next fortnight).

But the dollar/euro rate, and the cost of jet fuel, are much more important influences on transatlantic fares than a game most Americans regard as treasonable and most Europeans watch from the security of their living room couch.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM

hsv, as one of our resident Germans, have you thought of starting a World Cup superthread so all the Fodorites who are going can share their itineraries and all the Germany travel experts can share their tips for housing, restaurants, sightseeing, best beer, etc.? Maybe a World Cup/Fodorite GTG will evolve.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:29 PM
hsv

BTilke,

a nice idea IMHO. I believe I sort of did, when I posted the thread indicated by the link above listing the days and venues of the matches. The response was zero, so I guess on this mainly American dominated board the interest is not too high. I could still give it a try again.

flanneruk,

I perfectly agree with you regarding the pitiful amount of tickets available to the public for the World Cup. However, I believe there will still be a considerable number of people who will try to fly in, maybe still obtain a ticket or otherwise watch the matches on one of the huge screens that will be installed everywhere.
I also don't think that most people will be out again by July. Summer is peak season anyway and I would believe that quite a number of supporters and other tourists will possibly prolong their stay. And given that people were required to order the tickets so far in advance that they could not even know which particular matches they would be for I expect a number of people still in the country when the teams they are indeed rooting for are already out.

beanweb24,

of course there are exceptions to the rule, I should think. I hope you have a great time during that vacation and that you will be able to cope well with the time difference...Might be a few nice opportunities to sip a beer already in the morning ;-).
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM

My son is now studying in Germany and going to Munich in two days, I will email with him and find out what pension/hostel they ended up choosing, he was busy and had asked me to investigate lodging and I sent him some pension info from Fodors and from hostels.com and I will see what they ended up with and if they liked it and post when I get ahold of him, maybe that will help.

But in general, when he has traveled, he has had good luck with pensions and hostels.com, reading the reviews and choosing from there, I'm sure there are other sites also, maybe check Rick Steeves too.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

To escargot--thanks for the info and I'll watch for your posting after you reach your son. I appreciate the suggestions.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM
lvk

janier,

There are a few other posters on this board who unwittingly booked a German vacation during World Cup, and have found that accomodation prices are much more expensive during this period.

You might check out Bavaria Ben's website for some low-priced lodging options:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/accommodations.html

Since you say that your son is visiting other parts of Europe also, it might be wise for him to fly into a non-German city during the World Cup and take the train into Germany. Check flights into Milan, Zurich, Vienna, Prague, etc., so see if they are any cheaper.

beanweb24 - We're right there with you! Last WC, the games started on TV here in L.A. at 3 a.m. We were serving weisswurst and hefe-weissen to anyone who wanted to drop by.