Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

USA Is going to 2006 World Cup in Germany!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a brilliant game!

What wonderful goals!

As I'm typing this USA is about 2 minutes away from booking tickets to Germany!

USA 2 Mexico 0

I really do believe USA has a chance to make the quarter-finals in Germany. After that, anything could happen!

USA, USA, USA will go all the way!!!

See Ya all in Germany!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was on the worldcup website trying to figure out who's where when! I know the tickets are hard to come by. I wanted to get tickets for Munich, but I still can't figure out how to get the tickets or when something will be going on in Munich so I can book. With or without the U.S., I'd still love to see one game.

If anyone has sorted this out and can give me a road map, I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM

Actually, I don't follow, but anyway:

YAAAYYYYYYYYYY
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Just to put everything in a true perspective.

The World Cup is probably the only true world sport event (outside of Olympics). Just about every nation in the world starts qualifying for the finals (held every 4 years) about 2 years earlier. There were some nations playing today that I have never heard of and to make it more exciting, there was one African nation, Burkina Faso(?) that beat South Africa today.
We all know that the Cinderellas stories don't happen too often, but in this great tournament, it happens.
US was the "little kid" on the block for long time, but the football world is starting to look at this team seriously.
We made the quarter finals in USA94 World Cup finals, loosing to a great Brazilian,(finals champions)team 1:0. We flopped in France98. US Soccer fired the coach and his staff and brought in Bruce Arena. US team has been going up ever since. I really believe this team has potential. Many of the young kids came up through our own high school/college system, few are foreigners with US citizenship and most play in the MSL, or better yet, for some of the best teams and leagues in the world, UK, Netherlands, France, Spain, Germany, etc.etc. The experience is bringing some great results. Bruce has the team motivated. They trust the coach and he knows the game.

GO USA!

It's a great day for US soccer!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:24 AM

USA should be proud just for making it this far. Congrats! This can only help the US soccer leagues gain new fans.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:44 AM

US is going, but without me, I'm afraid-- scored only 1 ticket and the expense of travel and lodging (if I could even get any at this point) just isn't justified. Grump! Grump! But we'll be glued to the TV -- probably in the middle of the night, if history serves. GO USA!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Good Luck USA !!
I hope you are in Englands group if they get there. Wales lost to them yesterday and we need some revenge from someone...anyone !!!

Wales never qualify for anything

Muck
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 02:39 AM

Americans and football. You’ve got to love them. They really have no idea do they?

I blame FIFA for this (in fact I blame FIFA for just about everything). They have this insane ranking system that puts the yanks at number 6 in the world, based on them turning over Trinidad and Tobago, plus a few Nike-sponsored friendlies that no one else takes seriously. Bless them.

You’ll do well to get out of your group once you’re up against the proper teams. Quarter finals? Not a chance my tea-dodging friends.

And don’t get me started on the ludicrously easy CONACAF group.

Ps: Mucky – we did our level best to let you lot win!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think CONACAF is wonderful, particularly when it allows sides like Cosat Rica through to beat Scotland.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Congratulations, hopefully we'll be seeing you there.

Kate
Aston Villa & England
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:31 AM

I thought it is a girls' game in the US ?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Their girls are pretty damned good - they may even be world champions (they certainly have been)However to paraphrase Dr Samuel Johnson: Girls playing football is like dogs walking on their hind-legs. You're not expecting to see it done well, you're just suprised to see it happen at all.

And for what it's worth I fully expect England to win the world cup in 2006. And I haven't been drinking.

A little known fact: The yanks are reigning olympic champions at rugby (and the french are at cricket)
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:23 AM

England,won't win. The Welsh boys pushed them in the 2nd half. Earnie should have played more than a cameo role.
If thats the best the England side can manage with all the players available to them, they have no chance...

;-)

Muck
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:25 AM

David...

At the last World Cup, the US got to the round of 8 and as a matter of fact were ripped off by a Scottish referee who didn't have a clue Hugh something or other who refused to call an obvious hand ball that would have led to a penalty kick that almost surely would have tied the match with Germany.

So the USA's ranking is not outrageous..and we don't send hooligans to the game nor cry bitterly over missed calls the way England does (see Euro championships last year you know the Swiss referee who received all that hate mail for making what was a correct call in the game against Portugal)...

BTW have the English learned how to take penalties yet?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:06 AM

American footballers (like the American military and Japanese golfers) have all the right kit, training, coaching, diet, equipment etc. And just like the military and the golfers they can’t actually do it in real life.

And you’re surely not telling me that you actually merit a world ranking of 6?

Also English hooliganism is a bit passé these days. It’s the East European countries that you’ve got to watch for that sort of thing. I also understand that USA v Mexico can get a bit hairy as well?

I also think that England will win – it will need the rub of the green but this is a better team than the 1990 one that was only one penalty kick away from the cup.

Hopefully they won’t need to practice penalties – they give me chest pains.

By this time next year England will hold the World cup, Rugby World Cup and the Ashes (and have the world's best cricket team.). Not to shabby eh?

We might have to have a go at this famous "World Series" thing.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am quite pleased to see the US get through to the finals. Whenever I have watched the US, they seem like a very "English" team. Where I do think they have the edge is that they seem to play for the shirt, unlike the "Overpaid primadonnas" that currently make up the England side.