Need advice on place to stay during Munich World Cup in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again - Unfortunately, my flights are already purchased and now I find out that the World Cup is going on in Munich during the time that I will be visiting. Most hotels are sold out. Those that aren't have doubled their prices. I am thinking of giving up Munich entirely and staying somewhere close (we have a 7am flight out of MUC on the 3rd day). The airport hotels are sold out too. Would Landshut or Augsburg work? Any other nearby town you'd recommend for 3 nights in June? I think Regensburg may be too far for an early morning flight. Suggestions?
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:20 PM
lvk

The World Cup is actually going on in the entire country of Germany from 6/9/06-7/9/06. Hotels everywhere will be scarce and expensive. In Southern Germany, there are games in Nuremburg and Munich, so finding anything between those two areas will be tough. I have friends who are staying near Innsbruck, Austria and driving into Germany for the games.

Here's a schedule of the tournament that you might use to see which areas you should avoid:

http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/i/eu/fifa/nsen.pdf

Augsburg is a very nice city, and pretty convenient to the Munich Airport (MUC). My in-laws live near there and we fly in and out of Munich when we visit them. It's about an hour to MUC, depending on traffic. Another option would be staying out by the Ammersee, a pretty lake region just west of Munich.

Unfortunately, because of the crush of people all over the world converging on Germany during this time, I think most everything will be overpriced and overbooked.

Good luck! Even though it may be crazy at that time, it should be a festive, multi-cultural atmosphere.

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks Ivk. I'll check out Augsburg. What do you think of Landshut?
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:28 AM
lvk

Sorry, I don't think I have been to Landshut, so I can't help you there. I'm topping this so someone else might see this and help you.

Have you checked out Bavaria Ben's website?
http://www.bensbauernhof.com
It has lots of terrific information about low-cost lodging and farm stays. You might find some off-the-beaten-path lodging near Munich on there.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I am planning my trip July 21 to August 4. Hopefully I will miss the World cup crowds. Do you think the crowds will be gone by then?
Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Landshut is a really nice town. Train to Munich central station will take less than 1 hour.

@katzen: thr crowds will be gone until then.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM

I'm in the same boat - we are arriving in Munich from Murren/Interlaken on Wednesday, June 7th. I was waiting until Dec. 12th to book my hotels to make sure our train schedule would work. I did not know that the World Cup started on June 9th. We planned to fly out of Munich on June 10th.
Should I just give up on Munich? I need a place for 5 people.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Landshut is VERY convenient to the airport (much more so than Augsburg), if you have a car - direct motorway in 30 minutes or so. Also doable by train I would imagine, with some changes, though. The town itself is also very pretty - certainly merits an afternoon to see the cathedral, the castle & the old town.