Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice Re: Transportation Options LGW to London

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be arriving LGW around 0800 on a Wednesday morning. Hotel is in WC1 (Holborn). Two persons traveling. Luggage will be one rolling case each and one piece of hand luggage each, the latter will be piggy-backed onto the larger case.

The options thus far:

JustAirports estimates a R/T cost of 88 Pounds cash; not sure if paying with a CC will cost more but will probably call them to find out. I would undoubtedly give the driver a tip each way.

GatwickExpress would be 50 Pounds R/T for two. Have no idea what a taxi from Victoria to/from the hotel would cost. And the tip would be extra, of course.

Will probably have a Tube TravelCard but do not know what the stairs situation is either at the Victoria tube station or at the Green Park station where change would have to be made.

My inclination is to reserve the transportation with JustAirports and not deal with the hassle of getting on and off the GEX, waiting for a taxi to the hotel; or taking the tube from Victoria at that time of day. I figure, in the end, I'm not saving that much money and the "savings" really aren't worth it.

We return to LGW on a Tuesday morning for the return flight home.

What do you think?

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:37 AM

Only you know how much you're prepared to tolerate in the way of stairs in the tube, since there's no way to get to Holborn without plenty of those and at change of lines in between. Also, depending on how long you take to get through baggage reclaim, etc., you could still be in the tail end of the rush hour, though you could take your time at the airport, have a cup of coffee and read Time Out for a while till nearer 9.30am.

Alternatives might be:

a train to London Bridge and the 521 bus from there to Holborn - London Bridge is the start of the route, so you should be able to find space for you and your luggage, and you get a tour of some historic sights en route. You could also take a taxi from here, of course, but it might be a bit more expensive than from Victoria.

Thameslink train from City Thameslink station (one after London Bridge). It's much closer to Holborn than Victoria, and you can pick up the 521 bus or a taxi right outside.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:41 AM

I meant to add the link to the bus map for Holborn:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/pdf/holborn.pdf

There is a bus from Victoria, but that is likely to get crowded at almost any part of the day because it crawls along Oxford St.

And you can find estimated taxi fares at:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Patrick:

Thanks very much for your detailed reply and the links which were very useful.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:53 AM

I agree with PL. We don't even bother getting a Travelcard any more - a bus pass serves our purposes just fine.

p.s. The round trip for two on Southern Trains is £36 (£9 per trip), not £50.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM

If you get tickets on Southern Trains LGW to Victoria, ask them to include a day pass on the tube. This was only £1 extra last year. Don't know if it's gone up yet..
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM

gertie - does that work in both directions (i.e., can you get the tube pass at Victoria when you buy your outbound train ticket?)

And what does the pass cover? Could one get from LGW to LHR for £9 + £1?
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I hated taking luggage on the bus in London. It seemed far more difficult than doing so on the tube, and I'd rather walk up three flights of stairs with luggage rather than take a bus with it. This would particularly be true at times when buses are likely to be crowded.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:49 AM

If you buy a travelcard at Gatwick, the ticket entitles you to a round trip the same day from Gatwick to the Greater London boundary and a one-day travelcard for six zones. You can buy similar tickets from any station in south-east England. As Gertie says, it doesn't cost much more than a one-way ticket to London - unless you're travelling before 0930 Monday to Friday. A one-day travelcard from Gatwick would therefore cover the tube journey from Victoria to Heathrow.
If you're travelling to Gatwick and have a travelcard for London, then show the travelcard at the ticket office at Victoria (or London Bridge or wherever you're boarding the train to Gatwick) and you'll be sold a ticket from the travelcard boundary to Gatwick: travelcards include train travel so you do not need to pay again for this part of the journey. Note that this does not apply to the Gatwick Express, but the Southern trains from Victoria to Gatwick are just as frequent and take only an extra five minutes.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

The 50 Pounds fare I mentioned earlier was for two persons R/T on the Gatwick Express which everyone here seems to feel is only about five minutes faster than taking a regular train. I've never used the GEX only the HEX when I have traveled to and from Heathrow. My only "concern" re taking a "regular" train from Gatwick into London is the luggage storage space on "regular" trains.

My question about stairs in tube stations was included since I have no idea if there are stairs at the tube station at Victoria vs. escalators; and the change at Green Park..whether it involved stairs vs. escalators.

Again, I am appreciative of all the responses which have been extremely helpful in helping me make a final decision.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Don't worry about luggage space - Southern Trains expects you to bring some, and provide accordingly.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Robes: thanks for that bit of information...helpful to know.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Just to add: a travelcard will cover buses as well as tubes.

You should reckon on there being some steps in almost every tube station, even if they have escalators for the longer haul. That would certainly be true to get into the tube at Victoria, and again to change at Green Park, and again at Holborn. Likewise, changing between the Northern and Central Lines at Bank, and again at Holborn.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Not to prolong this unnecessarily but I now notice I could also take a Thameslink train from Gatwick all the way to either City Thameslink or to Kings Cross...Patrick I believe you mentioned this, or past of this, earlier..anyway, the possibilities seem to be myriad and I can see why a lot of people simply opt for having a car meet them and take them directly to a hotel!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Kings Cross would be going too far! Anyway, it's still a bit of a building site.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Then CityTameslink it will be!

My other question: I'll also be traveling from London to Norwich (leaving London on a Friday morning and returning to London the subsequent Monday morning (in April).

I know I can buy train tickets through the NationalRail website up to 90 days in advance.

Is there any major cost savings by buying tickets such as these 90 days out or can I get the same kind of savings by waiting and buying the tickets a couple days ahead once in London or on the day of travel?
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Don't know on that one. I always turn up on the day and tell them my travel plans and ask for the cheapest deal. Leaving London after 9.30am is always a good idea.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM

As Odecar10 says, Gatwick, change at East Croydon, to Balham. To stay a small hotel on Ebury Street or something larger also near Victoria station, such as Thistle Grosvenor or the Rubens: I can send you notes if you like. Then for the Docklands try the Jublee Line, later than the rush hour if possible. Welcome to London

Ben Haines