"Something's Gotta Give" Paris Geography

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw the fun Something's Gotta Give today. As usual I was amused by the "geography" of Paris.
Can someone explain how Jack seemed to be walking out of the Plaza Athenee and apparently walking (not taking a taxi) to Le Grand Colbert located near the Palais Royale (as she did explain it to be in the film). That would be quite a walk. Then as he left dinner there, he was clearly at Place de Vosges, in fact with a sign saying so clearly visable. That was quite a little stroll. Yet a few minutes later they meet on the bridge which I think was the Pont au Change as the Concierge appeared to be the building in the background. He sure was wandering aimlessly in the cold Parisian night wasn't he? And for a man recovering from all those heart attacks, he sure was getting a goodly amount of exercise!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Patrick - what a laugh. Have you ever watched "Mystery Science Theatre?" I love doing an MST on all types of absurdity in movies and tv. Movies are all part of the fantasy realm and you must suspend disbelief once you enter a theatre.

This is much more entertaining than yet another post on Rome and/or Paris hotels!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Lucky there was not a car wreck when the cab left Le Grand Colbert going toward the Palais Royale...the wrong way on the one way Rue Vivienne!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Ah, Good spot, RonZ.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM

It's just a movie. I liked it a lot but I like both Nicholson and Keaton as actors. I don't recall the things you are mentioning, but don't see why it would be impossible to walk from the Plaza Athenee to the Palais Royal. I've done it before, it's not that far. If he did it in a couple minutes, you couldn't, but this was just a movie not a documentary. The idea was to get Paris scenes and ambience, not to plan a Michelin trajectory.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:56 PM

Patrick, I wish I had read this before I watched the movie!
I was too busy enjoying any sight of Paris to notice exactly where they were, but I do find it amusing when I see locations patched together this way-for the story but not accuracy.
As for the movie, remember he did walk up those steps LOL
Did you like the movie though?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks my friends, Now I want to see it, if only for Paris. The previews I saw didn't show much chemistry between the two stars.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Have any of you had dinner at Le Grand Colbert? It's never been on my list before.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Well only the last 10 minutes or so takes place in Paris, so you'll have a lot of waiting to do, Cigalechanta.

Yes, I enjoyed the movie. Jack was Jack, and he plays himself so brilliantly. My favorite line: "Schmucks have feelings too." Diane Keaton was infectious. I did enjoy it quite a lot, despite how far fetched and silly the basic plot connections were.

Oh, but while we're talking about mistakes, notice that just before he cuts her sweater off she's wearing another shirt underneath. You see it at one point when she's sort of pulling it up. Then when he actually cuts if off, it's somehow disappeared.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Elaine...Le Grand Colbert is OK but nothing spectacular. Our favorite restaurant in the area is Le Vaudeville, right up then street. Another worth mentioning is Armand au Palais Royale about a block away.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Yes
I like le Vaudeville myself
thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:41 AM

This reminds me of Kevin Costner's "Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves".

At the start of the film he lands back in England at the foot of the White Cliffs of Dover and announces he must hurry home to Nottingham.

In doing so he somehow manages to cross Hadrian's Wall! That route is parctically impossible to accomplish and insanely illogical for a man on a mission.

But, hey - it's Hollywood y'know!

(I mean let's not even go any where near the risible U-571 and the cracking of Enigma in WWII!!!!)

Dr D.