Search

Hotels in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Paris

Me and my boyfriend are planning a trip to Paris in late May, for 9 days. This is my second time in Paris, and first time for him. Last time I went, I really liked the Marais area and we booked our hotel (Hotel Castex) there. However, I heard from a few people that Marais became quite gay (like West Village in NYC). I would like to find out if it is really so as we would not want to feel out of place there being a straight couple.
Also, besides Marais, what are nice central areas to live? We would like to stay in the center so we are able to walk everywhere. Any hotel suggestions?
Thank you.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:00 AM

When was the last time you went to Paris? The Marais has been the "center" of gay life for probably 10 to 15 years now, if not longer. If you didn't notice it before, you probably wouldn't today. In fact, numerous people have posted or remarked that they stayed there and had no idea what this talk about being the gay center was all about.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM
ira

Hi Neva,

Stop worrying. No one will care that you are straight.

I don't stay in the Marais because that is where the hip, chic, with-it crowd hangs out, and that doesn't describe me at all.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I stayed in the Marais both times I was in Paris last fall and Patrick's right--you wouldn't know it unless somebody had told you already. I was clueless until a Parisian pointed it out to me. I just shrugged and said, "oh, okay."

I'm not exactly sure what people expect when staying in a "gay neighborhood." We have a "gay district" where I live and it doesn't look or feel any different from any other parts of the city.

Oh, you will love the Marais! enjoy Paris! (I'm so jealous! everybody seems to be have returned from Paris or are going to Paris!!! I want to go too!)
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM

I am not gay, nor am I hip and chic, however, I absolutely love the Marais and plan to stay there again on our next visit. You will not feel out of place in this wonderful neighborhood.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:35 PM

check the Hotel du Vieux Marais. Very friendly, small rooms, recently redecorated, but family run and good location. 25% gay clientele, but as others have said, it really doesn't make any difference to anyone.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM

We're a straight couple, just got back from Paris, where we stayed in the Marais. Non-homophobic straight couples will not feel out of place there or anywhere else in Paris.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. My worries are gone and I'm staying in Marais
Has anyone stayed at Castex hotel there? Any comments?
Thank you.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Didn't stay at the Castex, but I have read comments somewhere (perhaps on this board, or else at tripadvisor.com) that it has been recently renovated and picked up another star, so prices have increased accordingly.

If you do a search for Castex on this board, you may find a recent firsthand account. . .
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Zo

In the Marais, I really like Hôtel Jeanne d'Arc. Small and a bit cheaper than Castex, it is on a small side street just around the corner from Place Sainte-Catherine, small square with several cafes and restaurants. Also it's about a block from Place de Voges. You can book them through parishotels.com
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM

elle, where did you stay?
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:14 AM

We stayed at the Hotel du Septieme Art, 20 rue St. Paul. It's a great location and the price couldn't be beat (75 euros), but it's certainly not one of the more charming two-stars in Paris.

Staff was helpful and friendly, however, and everything was perfectly adequate (we traveled lightly and didn't care that there was no lift).

But we visited some friends who were staying at the Grand Hotel Jeanne D'Arc, which we would have preferred but they had no vacancies. The Jeanne D'Arc was just a lot cheerier than the 7eme Art, possibly because the latter uses a lot of blacks and browns in its decor.

The room at the Jeanne D'Arc was also significantly larger than ours, as was the bathroom, but the 7eme also had a room for 95 euros that probably would have compared more favorably.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:10 AM

elle, thanks for the information. I am always adding to my Marais hotel list, and will include your information. Last time we stayed at the Moderne Caron; the good things were the location and the fact that it was clean - the rest (linens, manager, decor) was terrible I am far prom picky and only expect basics at a budget property but the MC fell way short (plumbing problems, peeling paint, towels that should have been in the rag bag, rude manager, etc.). I am hoping we will be able to reserve well enough in advance to get the Jeanne D'Arc next time but it's good to have back up ideas. Thanks for sharing your experience at the Hotel du Septieme Art.