Solo traveler can't decide where to go!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a women in her 30's and have a 2 week vacation in August. I was considering a trip to SE Asia, but the travel time was too much for my 2 weeks. I am set on somewhere in Europe, but can't decide where to go. I have only 5 weeks until I leave and I really need some help.
After a very stressful year, I really need some downtime on this trip, be it at beach, spa, or just hanging out in cafes. But I would like to combine that with culture, art ,architecture and great food. I would also like a combination of cities and smaller places, and somewhere that it is relatively easy to get from place to place.
I am a very experienced solo traveler so I would feel comfortable almost everywhere.
I have been to Spain(Madrid only), France, Italy, Greece, Turkey but would not be opposed to returning as long as I was seeing something new. The only place that's out is Portugal- my bf really wants to go there and he would kill me if I went without him!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Amsterdam, Venice, Paris are places I did solo that were fun and easy. But your requirements and requests really could be almost anywhere in Europe (culture, art, architecture, great food, hanging out in cafes, etc.)!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:12 AM

In August, I would take a look at more Northern destinations, like Amsterdam (fine beaches nearby!), Ireland/Dublin (for the craig, and that also works extremely well for a solo traveler), Sweden/Stockholm (relaxing, laid-back atmosphere, thousands of islands dotting the coastline, nice day trips by boat).. just a few examples..
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM

I think you have a tall order for a simple 2-week vacation in peak European vacation period. You want to travel around, see cities and smaller places, do cities and also do beaches/spas, have great food, etc. And you want to do this in August, in only 2 weeks, when you've made no plans yet.

I'd suggest you go to Prague. There are great spa towns not too far (eg, Karlovy Vary), and the Czech train system is pretty good, as well as buses. Prague certainly has great architecture and culture and cafes, although I wouldn't call its food great. But that is personal taste, and you could love pork and potatoes and beer. It is very busy in August, of course, what great place in Europe isn't. But it shouldn't be as horribly hot as, for example, Spain or Italy, where I would never go in August (except maybe Barcelona).
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I wouldn't generally be planning such a last minute tip but my previous plans were surprisingly changed. There are still plenty of flights and hotels everywhere I've checked. Heat isn't really an issue for me-it is already 100 degrees where I live so I think anywhere in Europe will be better than home.
I am a chef so food is a big factor for me-I often take cooking classes when traveling.
I know 2 weeks isn't a huge amount of time but it's all I have without taking a leave from my job (which I've already done to travel.) I am not looking for a grand European tour, just an interesting region that has a lot to offer.
I have been looking over where I have been and what I have enjoyed in the past-after going to 16 countries on 4 continents, I have yet to go to a landlocked country and I do tend to countries with warm climates-SE Asia, N Africa, Southern Europe, Central America.
That doesn't mean I won't change that-it is just what I am drawn to.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM

For two weeks, I would try to settle on only three or four regions as opposed to running yourself ragged.

Frankfurt is central to W. Europe so its a good starting point. Fly into Frankfurt, Germany and then check out Cologne and Heidelberg (great castle). Then, go a bit farther south to Baden Baden for amazing spas. From there choose a train or plane to one of the following great places: Paris, Prague, Brussels, Amsterdam, Austria, Switzerland etc.

Other places I really like are Helsinki, Dubrovnik, and Vienna. Good luck and have fun.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM

As a chef, wouldn't you know the different European cuisines and could boil down your choices to just a few?
I mean, in August you can go anywhere. It's warm enough in the North and the mountains, hot in South (but which is no problem for you). Each country's cuisine has something more or less exciting to offer..
If you are interested in fish, the Nordic countries or Northern Spain come to mind.
A totally different option could be Switzerland where you have different food from the different regions. And many spas.
Otherwise, any region from Tuscany to Lapland will fit your description and does not get you any further.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you say you were willing to rent a car or not?
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

No, I don't want to rent a car since I'm going solo.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I'd start by researching cooking classes & spas since those are a primary interest. I found this website that seemed to have a directory www.discoverspas.com/France/France

With just two weeks I think you could easily plan a trip that includes one of each. Half the time cooking in the countryside, the other half at the shore in a seaside spa?
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I finally made my plans-Barcelona, San Sebastian, and then a few days on the beach-either on the Costa Brava or Mallorca. I think it is the perfect plan for a beach loving foodie who wants to experience both culture and relaxation!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Sounds great to me.

Were I taking that trip, I would want to budget in for taxi rides in Barcelona, since the dinner hour ends so late, and a nice hotel with a nice front desk.

For the Costa Brava, my favorite beach town is Calella da Palaufrugell. You might consider a beach destination in the Basque country rather than the Costa Brava. You might experience a bit fewer tourists and a bit less heat. But August is crowded everywhere.

If you become interested in Catalonian culture, a trip to the museum in Vic (an hour out of Barcelona) can be fantastic. I did not particularly enjoy the Guggenheim in Bilbao, inside or out, but if you do go, I think the Richard Serra installations are the best of the collection.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:15 AM

Sounds like a wonderful trip Cakegal. Be sure to watch the movie Vicki Christina Barcelona before you go. It inspired me to want to go to Barcelona.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I rented it the night after I bought my ticket- I think it made my boyfriend a little nervous about my trip!
I am really getting excited. I am getting a wealth of restaurant suggestions from other chefs. I will definitely report back on all of them.