Solo Eastern Europe

Aug 5th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Solo Eastern Europe

Hi! Iím interested in taking a solo trip in Eastern Europe from November 16th to 25th. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of places to go. Somewhere thatís not unbearably cold. Some things that I love are architecture, history, nature, and food.
Aug 5th, 2018, 07:19 AM

What do you mean by 'Eastern Europe'? - Many call Central Europe Eastern Europe - Central Europe is Poland, Hungary, Austria kind of, Czech Republic, Slovakia - Eastern Europe is over to Russia from these.

I supposed you mean Central Europe - I'd concentrate on Prague and Vienna and maybe Budapest - trains are great now on mainlines - for lots of info on trains check www.bahn.de/en for easy to reference schedules for all of Europe; www.seat61.com for sage advice on booking you own tickets online - at a discount if book early enough; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. And if going to large cities which is best IMO in late fall trains are by far the best - Christmas Markets will start then perhaps and Vienna has stellar ones.
Aug 5th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Great, thank you for the resources! In terms of Eastern Europe I mean Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Bulgaria etc...
Aug 5th, 2018, 01:49 PM

There isn't any worldwide agreement that those countries are not Eastern EUrope, but "Central", which to me is really Switzerland and Austria. In fact, many people in that area and Europeans themselves call those Eastern Europe. It's some weird PC thing that the term Eastern Europe is an insult (I don't know who started that), as to where that idea came from that these countries are now in Central Europe.

If you haven't been there, I'd just recommend that main most-recommended cities, like Prague and Krakow, you could maybe throw in Wroclaw in Poland which is lovely. I did taht once going by train from Prague north (through Dresden and then over to Poland via Gorlitz, down to Wroclaw and ended in Krakow). I haven't been to Romania and Bulgaria so don't know about those.

Obviously you can only go to 2-3 cities in 9 days. And no place is going to be great weather in November in that area. Given you haven't been there, that's why I'd just recommend Prague and Krakow for starters, jadding maybe some smaller place in-between teh two. I've gone between them by train twice, once the northern route and once south throuih Olomouc which I liked also. THat train route takes a long time, which ios why breaking it up isn't a bad idea anyway. For a beginner, Prague and Krakow are easier to deal with than some smaller places. I presume you don't know those languages, I only know a little Czech and had to use it when I went down into Moravia actually, as I accidentally got on the wrong train,k and another time I had to also when the train was cancelled unexpectedly and replaced by a bus. Luckily I could manage as I do know some Czech, but if you know no Czech or Polish, etc., I think those main cities might be a good idea for that reason.
Aug 5th, 2018, 03:25 PM

I would recommend the High Tatra Mountains in Slovakia (or Zakopane, Poland), should you visit Krakow, plus as a "best kept secret" Kosice, Slovakia and its old town.
Naturally Budapest and Vienna are a must, in terms of urban locations.
Aug 5th, 2018, 05:23 PM

I agree with Christina about Eastern Europe but in past so many 'experts' have corrected me and others about those Poland and Czech Republic being Central Europe and not Eastern Europe (I always called them Eastern Europe and all nations once under Soviet-domination Eastern Europe). But I was not totally sure...anyway in 9 days you should not try more than 3 locations and a day travel in between.I think that means 2 max countries close together by train. Choose either the Balkan countries Romania and or Serbia and or Croatia and Slovenia, etc or Austria and or Hungary and or Czech Republic and Poland.
Aug 7th, 2018, 01:20 PM

Prague (Czech Republic) and Krakow (Poland) are definitely two lovely cities to start with; you could "jump" than to Romania and try Cluj in Transylvania, than the medieval city of Sighisoara (also in Transylvania) and the painted monasteries "across" the mountains in the region of Bukovina. As you are coming late in November, I would not recommend mountain hiking as the weather could be quite tricky. Should you revisit in summer though, there are many hiking trails you could choose from (because you said you like nature). You'll get plenty of local food in all these locations, so have fun and enjoy your trip!
Aug 7th, 2018, 09:53 PM

trips4me [#7].....Was in Sighisoara recently, lovely place, but clogged-up with day trippers and tour groups. I think that both Sibiu and Brasov have a lot more going for them to justify the effort getting there.

Gorgeous part of the world, green and clean. Am looking forward to a return trip soon, a bit further to the north and west.
Aug 10th, 2018, 12:14 AM

Sibiu & the festivals

You might be right, Brasov & Sibiu are also nice city destinations; it can also happen that you have the luck and visit during a time when local festivals are organized - this would make those places a bit crowded too, but I think it's worth the experience

Last edited by trips4me; Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: period
Aug 14th, 2018, 01:49 PM

I actually would not go to Kosice - just look it up first

I'd focus on either Prague or Krakow
Aug 14th, 2018, 03:17 PM

In late November I'd look elsewhere for a vacation - no unlikely to be cold but grim dismal wet and cool - I'd rather be sipping coffee at some outdoor cafe in say Italy or someplace tolerable - joy of visiting any city is walking around aimlessly and dawdling at cafes - in Eastern Europe rarely possible due to elements.
Aug 15th, 2018, 10:32 AM

A few years ago, I went on a month-long trip through Europe and Budapest, Krakow, and Prague were part of our itinerary. We went in June when the weather was nice (mid-70sF) but I think by November it gets pretty cool (mid-40sF).

I wrote trip reports for each city so you might find that useful and get some ideas.

Budapest: http://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2017/...d-amusing.html
Krakow: http://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2017/...-birkenau.html
Prague: http://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2017/...utna-hora.html
Aug 15th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Sep 15th, 2018, 10:41 PM

I would recommend you also to visit Bulgaria or Romania. The Balkans are Eastern Europe.
Sep 16th, 2018, 07:02 AM

November is a bad month for this area. Weather likely to be poor, days getting shorter, but too early for things like Christmas markets. Best to stick to the bigger cities and plan on indoor activities. I enjoyed Slovakia but I would not go in November, nor would I plan on northern Romania, although Timisoara and Brasov might be OK. You don't have a lot of time. Maybe Krakow and Lviv, connect by train.
Sep 16th, 2018, 10:29 PM

I know it would be cold, but Prague gets very busy in the summer. You may like having some elbow room by going in November. I think it comes down to what you want for your vacation.
Sep 18th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

When do you think would be the best time to go to avoid tourists, but still enjoy more outdoor activities? Spring?
Sep 18th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Spring or fall. Guidebooks will have info on the best times, or you can check weather data at sites like weatherunderground.com.
Sep 18th, 2018, 02:01 PM

It started with the cold war. Any country behind the "Iron Curtain" was considered Eastern Europe and under Communist rule.

These days I seldom hear the phrase anymore. Central European seems to have replaced it...more for political reasons than anything else I think. Basic geography remains the same.

I've traveled to several of the former Eastern European countries and they were friendly and welcoming to Americans.