So many people going to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scanning the Europe messages, it looks to me like 75% or more relate to Italy. So why is Italy the top destination of Fodorites right now? And for those of you who have been here for a while, was it ever thus?

Vera
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I think its because its not France.
(Also, its a friendly, beautiful, sensious country.)
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:38 PM

It is funny you mentioned this,...I was at my salon getting my hair cut yesterday and my stylist said about a dozen fo her clients are leaving for Italy in June. She wondered if there are cheap flights from the midwest perhaps....

I have been on this board for around 3 or 4 years and it seems Italy is always a big destination, that and France.

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM

I'm from ireland, love France, been to malta, jersey, isle man -am going to italy next week for first time (celebrating 30 yrs married) wonder will we be hooked too?
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I decided 5 years ago I was going to take my kids to Europe with some life insurance money after my husband died. I remembered going to Greece when I was younger and how much I enjoyed it, then thought I would tack Italy to it, then when I thought of all the things to see, the trip turned into an Italy trip. I'm very interested in Roman and church history, Italy was it. I also thought it would more likely have food my children would eat. I was right about that!

Joelle
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Because they haven't been to Croatia yet.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Topping because I'm really interested in this trend. Any more comments?

Vera
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM

I love Italy because it has everything I want in a vacation:

Beautiful and diverse scenery,
Great climate (spring and fall) warm and dry (this is important since I live where it's either cold and rainy (damp) or hot and rainy (humid)),
Fascinating history and cities,
Beautiful lakes,
Extraordinary churches (the only other place I've been with so many beautiful churches is Malta),
Charming, small, walled towns,
Winding secondary roads with no traffic,
Frescoes, frescoes, frescoes (I've found no place else with such an abundance of frescoes),
Fabulous food (it's more likely you will eat well and inexpensively in Italy than anywhere else),
Sculpture abounds (my second favorite art form after frescoes),
Warm Italians (and great looking men)

I've been to lots of other countries but I always want to return to Italy.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:38 AM
Singletail

Even George likes Italy, now that he knows where it is located.
Did you see his recent post here about what to wear on his trip and how to pronounce "Rome"???

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:32 AM

No words can describe the beauty of Italy. Only those who have gone understand the lure of Italy. Tuscany
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:41 AM
ChatNoir

Another stupid political post by singletail - your misplaced hatred for a good man must be burning a hole in your mean heart.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
rex

Amen.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM
Blacktie

... wow, some bad blood between the black cat and one cheek!

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:21 AM

Once you go, you're hooked on the people, the beauty, the art, the history, the lifestyle, etc. There are so many places to go with such different things to see! I'm afraid to go any place else because I'm afraid it won't measure up and I'll be saying "I wish I had gone back to Italy"! My children want to live there when they grow up. In fact, my daughter in college is trying to figure out what she should major in that would help her get a job in Rome. My husband and I are trying to figure out a way to buy an apartment in a small town. It gets in your psyche and won't let go (at least is has for us)!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:45 AM

I can pretty much agree with all the foregoing positives on Italy. My wife and I force ourselves to go to other places on vacation but we always come home and think, "it wasn't Italy". We enjoy it so much because it has the exactly right pace and slant on life for us that gives us a feeling of serenity. Limited imigration has helped to keep Italy truly Italian and in my opinion, Italians hold dear things that are most important, family, culture, food and history. They also seem to have a contentment in what they do in life, that's why the experience we have there always feels right. The bakers, stone masons, waiters, conceirges, etc treat their stations in life as an art or craft and not as a path to somewhere else like in America.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:56 AM

Italy's people are as warm and friendly as the countryside. It wasn't always that way. Until the late sevenies (I think) the buildings and people were colorless. Once the political climate changed Italy seemed to have had a new beginning. The last time I was in Italy I had the impression that they saw the profitablity in cleaning up the tourist sites and the service industry learned that smiles reap benefits. There is a YES attitude in Italy which contrasts that to that "other" country!