Reload this Page >

war and travel to italy...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:01 PM
xxxx

without knowing if/when we will go to war, and what exactly will be the outcome of such an action by the U.S... i have this question, should i, as an american, have any concern (other than the awareness of terrorism throughout the world as entirely possible during this time) with travelling to italy should the U.S. still be at war with Iraq in the spring? what do you people feel?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Madam FrouFrou

Velll, I look in my crystal ball, and I seeeee.......ooops.....better stay home.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:14 PM
demographer

maybe it's because italy hasn't been an economic "power" that its population is not as diverse as germany, france, england, and others who've had to import a significant part of their work forces (largely from muslim countries). or maybe it's because italy doesn't have significant economic ties with iraq. but, for whatever reason, i've always found italians very welcoming of americans. go....

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Not

Not an economic power? Isn't Italy fourth or fifth in the world, and right on the coattails of France?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:24 PM
demographer

okay...i'm a demographer, not an economist. The point is still that italy hasn't found it necessary to....let's say, diversify its population with foreign workers.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:52 PM
If

If the U.S. or countries in some hoped for alliance should &quot;still be at war with Iraq in the spring&quot;...<BR><BR>then the things affected will be anything that depends on petroleum or energy of any kind.<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Alice Twain

Not:<BR><BR>Italy is neither fourth nor fifth. It is aprt of the G8, it is for sure in the top 20 raking of the most industrialized countries (and riches countries) of the world, but it is definetly not fifth or fourth, depite what former prime minister (later found guilty of several crimes, in particular corruption, and run off to Tunisia where he lived the rest of his days as a refugee in a HUGE villa) Bettino Craxi declared in the mid-Eighties.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:51 AM
????

Tough call. Terrorism is spreading throughout the world. It was only a few months ago there was the brouhaha in Bali. More recently the Italians picked up several Moroccans in Rome; as per a recent story on BBC site, Italians are looking into beefing up security in certain areas -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2689915.stm<BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Alice Twain

???<BR><BR>Only a few weeks before some more Moroccans were arrested in bologna after being seen with a camera in San Petronio. After two days in prison it turned out that these guys were legitimate tourists and not terrorists. I do not mean to deny the risks of terrorisms, but I think that the damafes that come from the fear of terrorism might be just as big.<BR>In any case the current situation in Italy is very much like the one in the Usa: our government is supportive of the Usa government on the Irak subject, while (just like in the Usa) there are huge popular and peaceful demonstrations for peace. Italy is not a risky country for Usa visitors, althought a large amount of the Italian population opposes the war, we do not oppose tourists, travellers and visitors of no country. Those who oppose the Us government do not oppose the Americans coming to Italy on a holiday, even if involved on a political discussion with an Italian you are likely to find people who will express their opposition to the Us governmet but friendship to single americans. One thing we have (generally, there are exceptions like anywhere else!) very clear is that a country's government is not necessarly that country's people. To this day you do not risk being attacked by itlaians in Italy, not even if hitting a demonstration for peace.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:39 PM
umm

What is a damafe?<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:20 PM
vince

My plans for Europe this summer have been put on indefinate hold. Normally I have bought the tickets by this time of year.<BR><BR>The War could change everything. Not just travel but my job itself. Amazing how a hand full of war hawks and wannabes can change everthing.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Susan

Vince, well said - and I couldn't agree more!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:16 PM
xxx

Vince, I agree with your comment about the European trip being put on hold. I, too, usually make my reservations or begin to make reservations about now as well. However, I can't not only because of impending war but also because of the effect this war has on the economy and my job as well. Too true your comments are.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Miri

I hope all of you who are agreeing that &quot;a few war hawks and wannabes can change everything&quot; are still out there educating your communities and letting your local, regional and national leaders know exactly how you feel about this trumped-up war -- and how pursuing it will impact their returns at the ballot box in the next election.<BR><BR>I'll be in Rome March 6 - 16, but that is a business trip. Still, I would not cancel it if offered the option.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:13 AM
xxx

I, for one, Miri am affiliated with one of many anti-war groups that promote peaceful activism. So yes, I hope that does help.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My very first post as a registered uncle sam!<BR><BR>Sorry Miri, but I do not think that this is about &quot;a few war hawks and wannabes&quot;.<BR><BR>And yes I have shared with my elected officials what I think about the coming events...and they agree with me.<BR><BR>And so does a majority of US citizens. And xxx, sorry but an anti war group is not in my future.<BR><BR>And btw, we were in France on 9/11. We planned the trip in advance and obviously did not know that the tragic, horrible events of that day would occur.<BR><BR>And since the US was attacked, as a sovereign nation we can and should and will under President Bush do everything we need to do to protect US interests and citizens!<BR><BR>If you choose to disagree, I suggest you vote in the next election and see if you cannot change that policy!<BR><BR>As for travel...go for it!<BR><BR>Although I'd stay out of Iraq for a while. In a couple of years however, you'll want to go and visit a land of free people!<BR><BR>US
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:57 AM

If the world is going to end, or even just flirt with disaster, I can't think of a better place to be than Italy. Plus, if something is going to happen it'll be at the Vatican or some diplomatic office in Rome. But should that stop you from going to Florence, or Venice, or Naples, Capri, Sorrento, or anywhere else in this beautiful place?
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:02 AM

I'm with you, fly. I was in Paris, staying in Pigalle, right after the bombing of Afghanistan started and had no problems. To be sure, I didn't go waving my U.S. passport, but that isn't something I would do even if the U.S. wasn't at war. <BR><BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:45 AM

Uncle sam: I will not dispute with you on the support to USA politics, and decision about war, although I very strongly oppose to this war as well as to any wars. But I want to ask you a question, as an American citizen supportive of you government politics, you think that it would be dangerous for you to travel to Italy, a country that is part of NATO, whose government supports yours and which has been an ally of the USA for fifty years? If not, why? The subject of this discussion is this, so let's stick to it.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Alice, please save your lectures for someone else please!<BR><BR>I was responding to her comments. <BR> <BR>As for travel I told her to go for it...I would!<BR><BR>US<BR><BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -