Search

SNCF questions

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNCF questions

I'm trying to reserve tickets with the SNCF website. I've found the train and time I want, so that's not a problem. However, when filling out the forms for personal information, there is NO place or space for the United States! With all the possible countries listed, the U.S. isn't one of them.

I'm a little reluctant to put down information that isn't accurate or complete, and I wondered what others have done. I hoped I could have them mailed to me. Even if I pick them up at the ATM or print them out, I am still unable to put down the correct country in the personal information form, since one's country is selected from a given list, and not written into a blank space.

Any advice?
Paule
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:16 AM
ira

Hi pro,

Choose "France" and choose "electronic ticket".

Bring the same credit card with you.
They will swipe it to confirm your reservation.

You can pick up your tickets at any train station in France.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Although I read one post here awhile ago from somebody who did succeed in having tickets mailed to her in the USA, my understanding is that that's not possible.

If you're purchasing a PREMs ticket, you just print it out from your computer and take it with you.

If you're purchasing any other ticket, you leave France as the location where you'll pick up the ticket, and then must go to a train station or SNCF boutique to pick it up (bring the same credit crad with you that you used to buy the ticket).
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM

I succeeded in having tickets that I purchased on the SNCF site mailed to me in Los Angeles, but the procedure was awkward, and I'm not sure I'd rely on it. After purchasing the tickets on the SNCF site and leaving France as the default country, I noted my U.S. address in the comments section with instructions to mail the tickets to me there. I then sent a separate email with the same mailing instructions. Several days later I received a return email stating that the SNCF will not mail tickets to the U.S. and that, as St.Cirq instructed, I should pick them up at the station. About two weeks later I received the tickets in the mail. I don't know if this was an anomaly or a mistake, but there you have it.
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. My confusion was that there was no way to enter "United States" into their forms, since it was just not an option. So I guess if I leave France as a default option, and pick it up or print it out, I'll be fine. Right?
Paule
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:44 AM
ira

Oui, Monsieur.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Merci!
Mme. (!) Paule
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Canada is also blacklisted by SNCF. I think we are supposed to Raileurope and pay too much. But we are too clever for that! I got around the problem by having the tickets mailed to a hotel in London. I phoned the hotel first to make sure they were OK with this. Prems were not available and the only option was mailing paper tickets.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM
njf

We're having the same problem. Figured we'd just by the tickets there. The price listed on the SNCF website (for the TGV) was about half what Raileurope wanted for them. Do you think if we get the tickets there it will be what we were quoted online by tgv?
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM

It's a good idea to buy your TGV tickets ahead; TGV travel is very popular, and tickets can go fast. If you wait to get reservations until you're in France you may find that nothing is available for the date you want.

You can always call the SNCF English number to order tickets (it's a regular toll call, BTW, not a toll-free number):

011 33 8 92 35 35 39
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:18 AM

no, not necessarily. Prices change over time, they have special fares that run out of space and/or time. They used to have discounts on some runs within certain time periods (J8 or J30 fars) similar to airline advanced purchase fares, and I think they still have something like that but I'm not sure how it is operationalized now. It used to be obvious what kind of fare they were quoting. Maybe it still is and so it will be the same -- if your quote is within a few days (up to a week) of the departure date, I would assume it will be the same.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

I did make a reservation yesterday after deciding not to worry about the country issue. I chose to pick them up at an ATM when we arrive (early July), which only requires that I use the same credit card that I made the reservation with. I'm not clear whether or not I can print the tickets out, but picking them up at an ATM seems doable.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:21 AM
ira

If you dial 1016868 before the 011 your call will cost only 10 cents/min.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM

progol,
I went through the same confusion as you have.Instead of checking the box for collecting tickets in France, I mistakenly checked the box for mailing them to me. I frantically tried to phone and email to find out what to do. Surprisingly, the tickets showed up in my mail box four or five days later. The envelope had my name,sreet address, city, state, zip code, USA and (France) in parentheses. In spite of the fact that you are not "allowed" to do it, the tickets are printed and mailed automatically and if you put your complete address with USA at the end, they apparently will get delivered.
For some reason they want you to buy the tickets through RailEurope which, as others have said, charges more. Thankfully the SNFC now allows you to print the tickets yourself.
JoeG
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:17 PM

How do you get PREM fares? Looking for fares for Avignon to Paris on the 20th.
Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:39 AM
ira

Hi anne,

You can book online up to 60 days in advance.

If there are PREM fares available, they will be shown on the site.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:44 AM

I tried the ATM. I had the same credit card and my reservation reference numbers. The instructions were all in French and it turns out I figured them out right anyway, but it still wouldn't work. I asked for help from a French mom with two little kids. She spoke English, walked be through the screens and we learned that my credit card was not accepted by the ATM. I had read about this glitch on the boards before. The ATM needs to recgonize a chip that is embedded in their cards, but not all from the US. I had to stand in line to talk to an actual person. My advice would be to schedule in some extra time at the Gare in case this happens to you. I was very concerned that we would miss the train from Paris to Avignon...but we made it!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM

I agree with gracie: don't fuss with the machines, allow time to go to the counter.

anne: as for PREM's, they are listed on the top left-hand side of the screen after you click on Reservations.