Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > The price of my favorite Santorini hotel (Fanari Villas) has gone thru the roof! Olympics related?

The price of my favorite Santorini hotel (Fanari Villas) has gone thru the roof! Olympics related?

Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

The price of my favorite Santorini hotel (Fanari Villas) has gone thru the roof! Olympics related?

Is this happening elsewhere in Santorini? We stayed at Fanari Villas (in Oia) in the summer of 2002 for about $210 a night. The same room is now $360. I'm heartbroken not to be able to return to our favorite place. Hopefully this is a temporary Olympics-related price gouge. Ouch.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:36 AM

I think it may be more related to the devaluation of the US dollar.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

...I was just coming back to ask that question (re: dollar value)...

It just seems way more than that.

I had checked a few other hotels in the area that I'm familiar with, and their prices seemed to be more in line with what I was accustomed to... which is why I asked.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:16 AM

I've read that the price gouging because of the Olympics will not extend out from Athens, and that because of the fears of high prices tourism in Greece is actually expected to drop off this year. I find that hard to believe. This is a rare chance for everyone to cash in on the influx of tourists and anyone who believes the same will try to take advantage. But I could be wrong. Soon we'll know if this is true.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Singletail

There is an article in The Washington Post today (3 June) that indicates ticket sales are way, WAAAAY below expectations and if that is the case, I would assume that hotel room reservations are waaaay below expectations, too..or soon will be when those tour operators who obviously contracted for huge blocks of rooms start giving them back.

Even if "this IS happeneing elsewhere" how are you ever going to know for sure if it is Olympics-related or not? Are you thinking maybe the price will fall to "pre-Olympics levels" eventually?

With the dollar vs. the Euro situation you may never see those prices you once paid again, Olympics or not.

Search this Thread