SNCF tickets and reservations

Aug 9th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

SNCF tickets and reservations

Hello,

I did a search for tickets/schedule to/from Verdun for travel Sept. 7-13.
I arrive Paris Sept. 2. Will I be able to get tickets for a space on the train at that time if I do not buy my tickets online?
Please advise.
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:37 AM

You'll probably be able to get them at the station, but if you can reserve them ahead of time, so much the better, unless your plans aren't firm.
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Journeys from Paris to Verdun always seem to require a change of train. On most of the journeys, reservations are optional. You seem to be travelling midweek so I can't imagine you'll have problems reserving seats a few days in advance, especially if you can be flexible about your travelling times.
Aug 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM

As I see on the SNCF site, reservation on Paris-Est to Chalons-En-Champagne (trains Coraile) is optional/recommended but you can't reserve C-E-C to Verdun (trains TER).
Aug 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Put any angst to rest by buying a first-class ticket - i've ridden hundreds of non-TGV French trains and never had not found empty seats in first class - second class usually has them but can get crowded. I'd just wait and buy ticket at station - or go to www.voyages-sncf.com to try to purchase online.
Aug 9th, 2005, 09:11 AM

could i ask a question about reserving on the SNCF site? how do you get your tickets? do you pick them up at the train station in paris? is this the best way to reserve for the paris/madrid hotel train?
Aug 9th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Regards the Elipsos Paris-Madrid overnight train - RailEurope has fares of $124 pp for a double room including rail fare and sleeping accommodation - must be purchased at least 14 days in advance but in effect to get much farther in advance. Can book up to 90 days in advance. RE charges a $15 handling fee plus mailing fee. I always recommend if going the REurope route to call BETS (800-441-2387), a RE agent i've worked thru for years - expert service and they don't charge some of RailEurope's mailing fees. Try www.sncf.com to see if Paris-Madrid fares stack up to RE's Regular fare on RE is $287 p.p. Note that if you have a railpass you'd still pay $124 for the double p.p. on this 'hotel train' so it may be better to try the 14-day advance 'Value Fare' and save a day on your pass. The Value fare comes and goes however so check with BETS to see if it's still in effect - i'm looking at June 05 info. Sounds like you should investigate the France/Spain railpass!