final questions for October trip

Sep 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

final questions for October trip

I have been studying this thread and asking questions for almost a year now. I have a few last minute questions. We will be arriving by plane in Rome around 8:00pm.and have booked a hotel near Termini station. I know about the taxi and limo services, but am thinking about just taking the train to Termini. If we arrive at Termini around 10:00pm would it be safe to walk the 3 blocks to our hotel?

We will be taking several train trips throughout our stay. Should we buy tickets in advance, and is it true that the only difference between first and second cass having a reserved seat?

On the Scavi front...I started asking for tickets in March (for Oct.) I wrote 3 times and finally got an email today saying that they are booked for our dates! We may try to just show up and see if there are any cancellations...but I don't hold out much hope for that. (just venting..)

We leave Oct. 16 I'm sure I'll have more final final questions. Thanks in advance.
Sep 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM

You will probably be coming and going from your hotel many times during your stay, so you may as well walk there the first time. Just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM

<<We will be taking several train trips throughout our stay. Should we buy tickets in advance?>>

The answer depends on the trips to which you are referring. Unless you are traveling on a Friday or holiday, you should be able to buy a ticket just before departure. If you must be on a specific train, you might choose to buy your tickets a day or two ahead. If you know all the trips you want, you can buy all the tickets at the same time.

<<and is it true that the only difference between first and second cass having a reserved seat?>>

I'm not sure I understand your question. The difference in whether or not you have a reserved seat has nothing to do with first or second class. First class has wider seats, more room for luggage, and is less crowded since the tickets cost more. That's what makes it better than second class. On the older trains that travel local routes, the difference can be dramatic. On the newer high-speed trains, the difference can be negligible.

Tickets for ES and IC+ trains come with automatic seat reservations when you buy them, no matter whether you purchase first or second class. You can use the ES or IC+ ticket only for the particular train listed on the ticket. The seat reservation is included in the cost of the ticket. These are the fastest trains with the fewest stops.

Tickets for IC trains do not include seat reservations, no matter whether you purchase first or second class. You can use the IC ticket for any IC train going between the same two places, but you may not find an empty seat. You can purchase a reserved seat on a particular train for an additional fee, but your reserved seat is only for the particular train listed on the ticket. If you miss that train, you can use your ticket on another train, but you won't have that reserved seat. These trains make a few more stops than the ES or IC+.

Tickets for R trains have no option for reserved seats. You can use the R ticket for any R train going between the same two places. These are the slowest, most local trains, making the most stops. They are usually the most careworn trains as well and often have no option for first or second class.

Sep 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM

I always stay in hotels a few blocks east of Termini and i've never felt the area was threatening any time day or night.

Not the best area in town but to me at least safe - well lit, etc.
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I think we will take the train to Termini and then walk. Also thanks for all the information about the different train categories. Wow! I think I have it straight now.