first class train question...help

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:41 PM
jacob

first class train question...help

I cannot get this question answered.

what if we have first class non smoking tickets reserved from naples to florence for 12:00pm and we are either late for the train or decide to stay in naples for an extra day?

can we still use the train ticket and are we still able to secure first class non smoking seats with the tickets we have already purchased?

thoughtful responses please.

jacob.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:15 PM
s

jacob,

Your tickets should still be good (usually dates of validity are on the tickets), but you forfeit your reservations. You'll need to make new reservations (and pay again) to be sure of getting a non-smoking 1st class seat.

Usually 1st class is less crowded, so you could take a chance.

But the answer is that if you miss your reserved seats, you've forfeited your reservations. Tickets still good.

s

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:33 AM
jacob

s,

thank you for the straight answer regarding train travel. common sense would dictate that we would lose the reservation. at least if we are late or decide to travel later we will probably not need to buy new tickets.

thanks,

jacob

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Walter

s: Except for the Eurostar trains? The way I understand it is: As of ~Jan1 everyone on a Eurostar Train must a ticket & included seat reservation for *that* train. Like an airline ticket, valid only on that flight with a seat assignment (no standee's or hopping into unoccupied seats. To rebook costs I believe 5e and you are issued a new ticket/seat reservation. In the past a Eurostar ticket was valid for 2 months (others still are) and you could just hop on any Eurostar without a seat reservation or lesser train and go with just a validation. Regards, Walter

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:43 AM
s

Walter,

Thanks for the clarification! I've never done the Eurostar, or even trains in Italy actually. My train experience is Switzerland, Austria, Germany (in the 80s), and Paris-Nice. I was hoping my prior experience (and my intermittent common sense) would give jacob some peace of mind.

I've been enjoying your posts!

s