Search

Trains in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains in Italy

My husband and I will be traveling in Italy toward the end of June. We'll travel by train from Rome to Florence, Florence to Venice, Venice back to Rome.

From what I understand, we can buy a rail pass but this does not reserve seats. How necessary is it to reserve seats? With it being June, a busy month I'd imagine, would we want to go on and do that?

How far in advance does this need to be done?

Old May 6th, 2004, 10:52 AM

If the specific train requires a reservations, book it.On your train schedule, it should tell you if you have to make a reservation. Usually it's not that much but it's better than messing up your travel plans.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:34 AM

For your itinerary, you will probably not gain anything in buying a rail "pass." Just buy point-to-point tickets since you are making so few trips. Even first class seats should be cheaper than a pass, and second class seats on an ES train are perfectly comfortable.

If you are traveling on a Friday or Sunday, reservations a few days ahead are recommended. You probably don't need to reserve until you reach Italy. You are traveling on popular routes and there are frequent--almost hourly--departures for these routes. A ticket on an ES train, the fastest type, automatically includes a reserved seat.

If you know all your travel plans, you can buy all your tickets for all your trips when you purchase your first tickets.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Singletail

If you decide to use Eurostar trains between these cities be aware that the seat reservation comes along with the ticket. On other services (Intercity or Eurocity, etc) the seat reservations are extra.
I'm a big fan of passes but for your itinerary and for just getting from Point A to Point B a pass would be un-economical; point to poit tickets make much more economic sense.

First Class on Eurostar trains generally has fewer seats in the same amount of space that has more seats in Second Class. First Class MAY be less crowded than Second (but not always). Only you can decide if these "issues" are worth the extra money.

Old May 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I second the above post. Unless you are a student (under 26 years of age), you will spend much more on the pass than point to point tickets. 2nd class on a ES train still comes with reservations and is very nice. First class on an IC train is worth the extra money. Train tickets from city to city are very easy to buy from automated machines... just press the british flag symbol and all the prompts appear in English
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
ira

Hi Newman,

A railpass is more expensive than point-to-point tickets for travel on ES* trains (recommended) for your itinerary.

You will have to pay a supplement for the reservation on the ES* trains if you have a railpass.

Schedules and prices are at www.trenitalia.com/en.

You can purchase tickets online if you want to practice your Italian.

Trenitalia Tickets Online
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34465647

Old May 7th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I have tried for days at different times at www.trenitlia.com, to buy tickets for the train in Italy and keep getting the response that these are not avaiable on-line. Kewl. Now the question is, can I purchase advance tickets at the Termini in Rome for days in the future: Rome to Naples; Naples to Rome TE; and Rome TE to Fumicino?
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Yes you can purchase advance tickets for any destination to destination within Italy from the Termini station. The automated machines are very easy to navigate and they accept credit cards
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:05 AM
ira

Hi Otium,

Yes, you can purchase all of your tickets at FCO when you buy your ticket to Rome TE.

Have you been using the www.trenitalia.com site in English? If so, it doesn't work. You have to use the Italian language option.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Ivy

The other option, albeit a more expensive one, is raileurope.com I know they charge a premium for service but they are reliable, their site is all in english and they always deliver on time. I prefer using them and paying the premium for the convenience. But it's a personal choice.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Thank all of you so much. I love this site. I shall wait until I get to Rome Termini, since we are staying just a few blocks from it, and buy all the tickets there. My spouse wants be sure she has a relaxing ride to our hotel so we are taking a limo service to into Rome.

Ira, I did try the Italian version on trenitalia.com and kept getting a message that I read as "These can not be purchased on-line." My Italian is less than adequate, so I could be wrong about what it said. But, I thought it was funny that all was in Italian exept "on-line."
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM
ira

Hi Otium,

Are you trying to purchase tickets longer tan 60 days in advance?

"on-line" and "home" have become pretty much universal.
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Ira, I am trying to buy tickets for May 30th and June 3rd of 2004.