SNCF-Prem's Question

Search

SNCF-Prem's Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNCF-Prem's Question

Anyone know the finer points of Prem purchasing?

I am needing 4 Prem's tickets A/R to Paris mid-September...still too early to purchase using Prem's program. I have requested to be on the new "notification" list that should let me know when the opening time becomes available.

Here is my question: Will I not be notified until the "Return" portion of the ticket becomes available, rather than notified of the "Departure" date availability? In other words, if I'm staying in Paris 5 days, the 15th-20th, will SNCF notify people who are traveling the same date/location, but only staying the 15th-18th, 3 days sooner than me, potentially beating me to the draw?

If this is the case, would it make more sense to purchase an Aller-simple when it becomes available and take my chances on being able to snag a Prem return as well? Our dates are flexible by a day or two and we can travel any time of day.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM

I've never been on a notification list so don't know about that but there isn't such a thing as a roundtrip ticket anyway, you are just buying two trips. So you might as well do it separately.

I don't think PREMS are that difficult to buy, I've never had a problem getting one and I don't even buy them the first day they are on sale. I mean I wouldn't wait until just before the trip, but I don't think you have to pounce on it the minute it is available. I just bought one last month and didn't buy it until several weeks after it was first possible.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM

what Christina said.

My daughter bought a 22 euro Prem (Bordeaux-Paris) just recently, three weeks before her departure.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM

Hi Klondike

I buy our tickets the day they become available - in my experience it's the only way to get the best price, other than waiting for last minute deals, but then if none are offered, you're likely to have to pay top dollar.

I buy the 'out' trip on the first available date, then the return trip on it's first available date. Return tickets don't seem to offer any advantage, and by waiting for the return trip to become available, you may miss out on prems fare on your outward journey.

Good luck, Di
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

Don't know how "new" Alere Resa is, but this service supposedly will alert you of your purchase opening dates.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/weblogic...0R%25C3%25A9sa
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 05:35 AM

<<I buy our tickets the day they become available - in my experience it's the only way to get the best price>>

This simply isn't true. I buy them up to weeks afterwards, as I said, and the price is the same as it was when first available. That isn't always true, and as I said, I wouldn't wait until just before or they might be gone, but it just isn't true that you have to buy them the first day. In fact, I've waited a few weeks (usually I wait just to make sure my dates and times are firm) and actually have seen the prices drop.

There is no such thing as a return ticket. If you buy a roundtrip itinerary, you still get two individual tickets.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM

I think, Christina, it depends on the route you are travelling and the time of year. I have missed out on prems seats in the past. Di
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Sometimes the prices actually come down as the travel date approaches, because they haven't sold out the seaats.

I've never put myself on a list - not sure why that's necessary, as it's clear that you start looking for PREMs 3 months out from the day of travel.

And yes, there's no round-trip ticket involved, so you just look for tickets for each separate day of travel starting 3 months out from each.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 04:55 AM

But don't wait banking on the prices dropping - on many routes, especially in busier travel times, the best Prem prices will be gone quickly once they start selling them (ie the three month before you travel date). Your odds on a great price are higher if you buy them as soon as you can - you're gambling they will drop if you wait, and like all gambles, sometimes you win, but most times you don't!
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Just to weigh in with a comment...yesterday I purchased 4 TGV Prem tickets for Sept 11 (4 days BEFORE the 90 day supposed purchase date)for Paris to Provence, printed the tickets, no problem. Last night I looked at the site again and the price had increased by 50euro total. So I am with those people who say purchase as soon as you can. I just checked every day until I saw it available, then grabbed it...glad I did!!
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 06:35 AM

<<4 days BEFORE the 90 day supposed purchase date)>>

It's NOT 90 days - it's 3 months, which is why you were able to purchase for September 11, since yesterday was June 11.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 08:32 PM

I agree that if you don't buy your PREMs right away then the price can go up. I was a couple of days late and couldn't decide on the schedule the first time I looked. The next day the price was much higher...plus, I was no longer able to print out tickets so i ended up buying them in French but will have to check in at a station for the tickets. I recommend researching in advance so you know your route, and then buying on the first day they are available.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their weigh-ins on this topic.

I, too, am a "better safe than sorry" kind of person so I requested the tickets as soon as they showed available--so purchased the aller and retour portions on different dates.

Strasbourg-Paris, Paris-Strasbourg 22 euros per person each way with us sharing a carré on the train...pleased as punch and I doubt I'd get a better deal the longer I waited. Yea!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 02:02 AM

Glad it worked out for you, klondike. €22 is really a great price! Am happy when I get one of those cheapest tickets which I don't always.