Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini best kept secret for lodging...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've searched a bunch on this site for quiet, quaint, budget lodging suggestions for our 4-night stay on Santorini (< 100E per night). We would like to be near local shops and 'normal' life as opposed to taking in the tourist 'nite life'. We'll be traveling there this July and would love to hear suggestions. My wife and I are expecting a baby boy in October and would like to make this trip one to remember, but we'd really like to keep it about us and not the crowds, or luxurious accommodations. Thanks for all your help!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM

There's not going to be much in the way of "normal" on Santorini in July. It's the busiest time of year on one of the most popular island destinations in Greece. Unfortunately there will be people everywhere, even in the least-visited corners of the island, which you probably don't want to stay in anyway since you've expressed the desire to be near shops. Your main choices with some shops and the least disruption of normality are Akrotiri, Megalochori, Pyrgos and Monolithos Beach, although as I've stated it'll all be relative to the time of year and the popularity of the island.

Here's a link to a website that lists hotels separated by village: http://www.santonet.gr/hotels-in-santorini/akrotiri.htm
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 09:19 AM

If you want "normal" Greek island life, why insist on Santorini? Why not consider a more "normal" island --- there are dozens, and plenty right in the Cycladic Island Group .... Sifnos, Serifos, Anti-Paros, Milos to name just a few.... I truly do not understand people who keep saying they want "quiet, quaint, budget" and then specify a Tourist Ground Zero like Santorini.

If you went to Anti-Paros, you could always do a day-excursion to Santorini, just to say that you had seen it.

But hey! some people only learn through experience, not by researching beforehand.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 11:00 PM

If you still want the view and quieter night life, you'll probably want to stay in Firostefani or Imerovigli.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 01:37 AM

Is there some underground movement called "Anti-Paros" that is trying to overthrow the Parian government? Or does travelerjan mean the island of Antiparos?

I am on Antiparos now, and it is sublime. Antiparos does get busy in July and August, though, so you won't get away from the crowds there.

On the other hand, tourism in Greece is down this year, so everywhere is quieter. Those people who have cancelled their holidays in Greece have made a big mistake! Prices are about the same as last year, and the euro is lower than any time in the last five years. What a wonderful year to be in Greece!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Nadia, that would only work if you never ventured away from your hotel to visit Oia or Fira.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM

heimdahl, at the risk of diverting the thread, I LOVED reading your message. Leaving in less than two weeks for Paros, Antiparos, and Folegandros. Five weeks this year (ahhh). Glad to hear a voice from my paradise. And I wondered about travelerjan's use of the hyphen.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Back from my reverie......sr931387, you might like staying in Imerovigli. Although it is of course tourist based with lodging on the rim - you do get a spectacular view in a subdued location. We walked through dusty quiet streets at night, wandered into a wonderful Karagiozis show (shadow puppetry) one evening and ate in less crowded, yet very good, restaurants. Easy to catch a bus in the square yet we walked the mile or so to Fira a few times.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM

If you seek a place in Santorini that has great beauty and view, unique and extraordinarily tasteful design, respite from the crowds in Thera and Oia, a tranquil place to enjoy breakfast or sunset (with a glass of wine), and a manager who is the essence of Greek hospitality and charm, I can't imagine a more delightful place than Archouse in Imerovigli. We stayed there in May this year and loved every minute.
One recommendation: the bus system is good, reasonable, and runs pretty much on schedule, with the stop in Imerovigli about a 5 minute walk from Archouse. My wife strongly preferred taking the bus to places with hair-pins turns, since some of the taxis are the Greek version of kamikaze.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Santorini is very touristy - it is also probably the most drop dead gorgeous place I've ever been (www.pbase.com/annforcier/greek_islands). We also visited Naxos and Paros and they are a little less touristy but their main towns are also smack on the tourist trail. On any of these islands you could stay in one of the "lesser" towns, but I wouldn't advise it. You do want restaurants, shops and to be near the water/view. On Santorini we spent a few hours visiting the inland town of Pyrgos and there were hardly any other tourists there. That would meet your definition for "normal" (vs. touristy). But I think you'd be disappointed staying there.

We stayed in Fira - the main town. But I can suggest a great little hotel - san Giorgio Villas (www.sangiorgiovilla.gr/). It was 50€ a night last July - AC, ensuite, mini fridge, private balcony ( no view). It was very quiet - it's across the "street" from the really touristy part of town, about a five minute walk. But if you are talking about this coming July you better get busy, I would think a lot of places would be booked by now.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM

I stayed at San Giorgio Villa, and it was nice cheap place for a couple of days and as much as I did like it and would stay there again for a couple of days only, I would not recommend staying there for a memorable experience and for someone that is 6 months pregnant. The bathroom is very tiny, there is no elevator and it is noisy due a favourite place for backpackers who want more of a hotel feel than a hostel.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Unless you really have your heart set on Santorini, I'd consider another island. I can't imagine Santorini in July being ideal for someone 6 months pregnant - hot, crowded, very touristy and not to mention lots of steps anywhere on the caldera.