Best Cyclades island

Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:42 PM
Ryan

Best Cyclades island

I'm thinking Santorini, but would also like to visit a less "touristy" island.
What do you think?

Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:46 PM
sue

Milos - has some good beaches, interesting antiquities. Get out of the port though. Explore the rest of the island and you'll find a touch of the Greece you've dreamed about.
Sue

Sep 26th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Alyssa

Just returned from Santorini and Milos and I would have to agree that Milos was a great choice. It was very secluded and natural, also much cheaper than Santorini. The both islands together gave a good feel to the natural and the more tourist island. Explore Sarakonikos & mytakas on Milos - my favorites.

Sep 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Elsa

Milos & Santorini are 2 totally different islands, so it depends on what you're looking for. Santorini is a more "happening" (I use that word loosely) place, whereas Milos is quieter and not as touristy. I liked Santorini better. Fabulous approach from the sea, BEAUTIFUL white houses/buildings in between the sea & the sky, more places to poke around in and "streets"/alleys to explore, and neat places to have coffee and/or meals. The views are awesome!!! Milos has a very small center so there is very little of all that I mentioned above. If you want to get away from it all, Milos is probably what you would prefer. I don't mean to imply that Milos is not worth going to, but it is a matter of what you are looking for b/c they are so different from one another.

Sep 26th, 2002, 04:53 PM
rob mccoist

Tinos is one of my favourites, very pretty, quiet(ish) and with dovecots galore. Good short ferry connections to Mykonos, Syros and Andros. Worth checking out.

Sep 26th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Paros Shep

I am prejudiced but Paros is the best all around island, even this time of year where the fantastic beaches are not as important, but still nice.
Santorini is a must see, however, but everyone who knows other islands says don't stay there more than one night.

Share our piece of paradise: www.iol.ie/~balydhob

Sep 28th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Byron

Just returned this week from Santorini. I agree, it is a must see island.

Apr 14th, 2005, 02:42 AM

Can one of you recommend a place to stay in Milos? Do you recommend staying in the port of Adamas or somewhere else? Thanks!
Apr 14th, 2005, 11:41 PM

I could suggest Sifnos island!!!
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Well its 2007, 5 years since the original posting- wow! But I am also planning a Santorini-Milos Vacation. The only thing is that I am on a tight intenerary and I am afraid I wont catch a ferry from Santorini to Milos when I need it- and the schedules are not posted until a month before the date.. grrr... any suggestions?
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:03 PM

To seviwevi-

I have just the answer for you! I'm planning a trip to the Greek Islands next September, and just learned this on a different message board yesterday, so I'll pass it on to you. Go to www.openseas.gr and click on the Britsh flag to get it in English. Then fill in your "from" and "to" places (Santorini is listed under Thira). Then click on the calendar. It will be for January 2007. Then click on the "back" arrow on the top left once for each month backwards until you get to the month you want. Even though it will be the schedule for 2006, it will be a very good estimate of dates and times for 2007. I had been very frustrated until I read that advice, and it's really helped me a lot. Good luck!
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:15 PM

Yes, but just keep in mind that this year's timetables may be completely different than last year. Looking back will give you an idea of trends, but don't rely on anything but what you find much closer to your actual departure date.
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM

That is a very helpful website. Even though schedules may change, from what I understand they have been pretty consistent in the years past- and there is practically a ferry to Milos every day. For a while I was ready to replace MIlos with Naxos but I think now I will stick to Milos. THANKSSS
Jan 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Try this website for ferries in Greece : http://greekferries.forth-crs.gr/eng...gres.exe?PM=BO

It's very helpful
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Hey, by the way as an update. I am booking for the 6 girls in Volcanos Villas in Oia and then Artemis Bungalows in Milos. Cant wait!!!!! Thank you for the help with the ferry schedules. There were daily ferries, with the exception of Sundays every day from Santorini to Milos.

Sevi
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Samish,

Thanks for posting that website!

I'm also planning out my trip in September and like you, been frustrated with the lack of info re: schedules.

Although I know this is subject to change, I'm banking on it not changing too dramatically, so it's been very helpful in the planning process.

Regards,

Melodie