4 Days in Santorini too long?

Jan 10th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

4 Days in Santorini too long?

We are planning to take a Trafalgar tour in Sept. that includes a 4-day Louis Cruise and hop off at Santorini rather than continuing on to the last stop of Athens. We will have 4 days then to either stay in Santorini and return directly to Athens or split that time with another island (or possibly two) on the way back to Athens. Is there enough on Santorini to keep one entertained for four days? Is it easy and efficient to do day trips out of Santorini to nearby islands (Ios, Paros, Naxos?) and just stay in the same Santorini hotel? Or would it be better to split the time between Santorini and stay at another island on the way back to Athens? If so, which one?
Jan 10th, 2011, 08:52 AM

I would love that. The most beautiful place I have ever seen.
Jan 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Santorini is the queen of the islands. In spite of being so touristy, it still retains the small island character. It still has a lot for a tourist to hold for 4 days.
Fira, Ferostephani, Oia
Akrotiri, Beaches, Light house.
You can watch the sunset again and again. I think it would be just right mix of sight seeing and relaxation. Don't know about the possibility of day trips, but I don't think it would be possible. You can take a half day trip to the volcanic island across.
I suggest don't try too much off hopping, especially after a Trafalgar tour. It is not worth it. You will see similar things on the other islands.
Have fun...
Jan 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Four days isn't too long for Santoini, but if you wish to see another island it's not possible by day trip (well, Ios maybe). My suggestion would be to either make the most of your 4 days on Santorini, or split 2/2 with Naxos or Paros, which are both on the ferry route back to Athens. Naxos lends itself better to short stays, as most of the things to see are either centered around Naxos Town, or easily accessible by bus.
Jan 10th, 2011, 12:30 PM

Four days is about right. Our favorite place in Santorini was ancient Thira. You drive up a semi-paved road to this ancient greek site that, in my opinion, is more remarkable than many others on the mainland. Even if you don't care about history and archaeology the site is stupendously beautiful... you get 270 degree views of the island from any spot on the hilltop. Unfortunately many folks I know have been to Santorini do not make it up there.
Jan 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
wug

I agree with four days not being too long at all. September will be a great time to be there too. There is plenty to do. There is a hike along the caldera between Oia and Fira, several wineries you can visit and tour, many unique beaches, archaeological museum, Akrotiri.

How long is the actual Trafalgar tour on Santorini, what other islands are you visiting?
Jan 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Are you renting a car??...Daughter, 2 grandkids and I were there for 3 days and rented a car for 1..Wish we had done more days and also a longer rental. The next time, my husband and I were on a cruise and again the geologist that he is was awestruck..Wished for more time. Perhaps the travel gods will smile again.. Have a wonderful time. By the way Ios and Paros are not as outstanding IMHO as Santorini and Mykonos. You need time to get a good feel for these islands..
Jan 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses ... all the feedback is appreciated, love any additional on the topic. In reply to a couple questions, the Trafalgar tour is on the mainland for about a week and then (via Louis Cruises) goes to Mykonos for five hours one evening; Kusadasi (Turkey coast, not island); Patmos, Rhodes, Crete and then Santorini..all this in 4 days. The package includes about 4 hours in Santorini, and we'd like to make that 4 days instead or share that with another island on the way back possibly, though it sounds as though most feel four days on Santorini is just fine.
Jan 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Also, we had not thought of renting a car, but perhaps it's a good idea.
Jan 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Whatever you decide, I think getting off the ship at Santorini is a very good idea!
Jan 10th, 2011, 03:26 PM
wug

I agree with renting a car. We usually rent one for at least part of our time on Santorini. You can go to the smaller beaches, visit the wineries, etc, all on your time.
Jan 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Yes, stay all 4 (DAYS NOT HOURS!) in Santorini.

I absolutely loved it and would go back in a heartbeat. Just stunningly beautiful, very relaxing...and yes, don't miss Thira.
Jan 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM

(Ancient Thira, I meant in post above.)
Jan 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM

It's easy to spend four nights in Santorini. Wouldn't mind doing that again myself.

Make sure to view the sunset one night in Oia too. Too nice for words.
Jan 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Great news (on another forum, which has actual GREEK participants). The Akrotiri archeological dig, after SIX YEARS of being closed (due to a roof-fall t hat caused a fatality0 ... apparently now will be re- opened in MAY 2011. A great improvement for tourists, since this is the chief item of ancient historical interest on Santorini.
Jan 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Even my type A sports addicted husband managed to chill out in Santorini for a week. We didn't do much. Ate, swam, watched the sunset, ate, took a walk... repeat for 7 days...

My teenagers remember this as a favorite family vacation.
Jan 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM

I've been toying with this same question and so glad to see these responses as I was second-guessing 5 nights in Santorini.

gruezi, your post just sealed the deal!
Jan 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM

My suggestion is stay at Fira
Rent a car for 2 days. Go to all the sites, beaches etc.
Rest of the days you can explore on foot and bus.
Out of which, one day you can take a tour of volcanic island. You have to walk in water / swim for the for the last few meters.
After hopping on to so many islands, you will love the tranquility here. Just sit sipping a drink while watching the sunset.
Jan 11th, 2011, 04:32 AM

If doing that tour of volcanic island and going into the water, don't wear your best swimsuit or shorts; the minerals will stain. Also, for Santorini beaches, bring "water shoes" (or Crocs), not flip-flops, to actually wear IN the water ... the black pebbles/grit are burning hot& hurt the feet, getting in. Just an alert.
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I never thought of getting our feet burned. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO