Best Time to go to Greece and surrounding islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is the best time to go to Greece? I will be getting married first week of June and want to honeymoon in Greece, along with the islands. I want to go when it's not too touristy, too crowded, and when swimming in the beaches is still possible.

Recommend any places to stay and visit? We want hotels/villas that are reasonably priced and have great views!

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM

For me the best time to go is late-May/early-June, so your timing couldn't be better. It won't be as crowded as it will get in July and August. I'll be on Santorini during this time period next year for 4 weeks. I recommend the village of Oia to you. Check out the Delfini Hotel and Thea Studios.

Another island I recommend is Paros. I went there for the first time last year and liked it a lot. The beaches are better than the ones on Santorini. I rented a motorscooter and enjoyed exploring the island.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Hey guys.
My wife and I are also wanting to visit Greece next year. I have my mind set on mid to late May but my wife reminded me that next September 1 will be our 5th anniversary and she can picture being in Santorini that day.
So...between the two (May or September) which offers the best combo of cost, climate & crowds?
Thanks...
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Dinks, flip a coin. Either would be good, but The middle of May has been rather cool the last few years, so Sep would be a safer bet. The water is warmer, too, so if you like to swim you will definitly enjoy Sep, and that would be a great way to celebrate your anniversary.

Cost and crowds are about the same in either month. In May you see the islands waking up for the summer, and in Sep each week has fewer tourists, until the end of the month when most hotels and restaurants close for the season.

Provence97, June is my favourite month for the islands. Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:07 AM
AllyPally

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! You have picked the right place to honeymoon and June is a great time to go. I second Brotherleelove's recommedation of Santorini and Oia in particular is simply breathtaking. There's lots of accomodation on the island so it really depends on your budget. My husband and I are planning another island hopping trip next year and are looking at Folegandros which, on a clear day, you can see from Santorini. It's a small, quiet island but here is a highspeed link to Santorini which goes daily and takes about an hour - I will try and dig out the information for you. Not sure when the daily schedule starts. For reasonably priced with great views, we have been looking at these hotels:

http://www.anemomilosapartments.com
http://www.fatamorgana.com.gr/

Fodorite Lisa posted some gorgeous photos of Santorini and Folegandros so I hope she doesn't mind if I repost - they really are lovely:

http://homepage.mac.com/lisaandmarkt...toAlbum20.html

http://homepage.mac.com/lisaandmarkt...toAlbum22.html

For some more ideas, I like this website for Greek accommodation:

http://www.i-escape.com/destination_...country=Greece

We like Esperas on Santorini - it's more expensive but definitely worth it for the views and the laid back vibe.

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks Heimdall.
We are thinking of devoting 10-11 nights in Greece and the islands. This will be our first time there. Do you feel this is sufficient (it never is)?
As for the islands, probably the usual suspects (Santorini, Mykonos, Tinos, etc).
Thanks...

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM

Dinks, yes, 10-11 nights in Greece would be enough time, but don't try to do too many islands (two would be enough, IMO) and save a day or two in Athens for the end of your trip.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In late September Paros was shutting down with some of the hotels and restaurants closed. Santorini was jam packed with tourists and cruise ship tours.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM

First time I went weas the first week in June. Still pleasant weather and didn;t notice huge crowds. I've also been to the islands twice in July. Both times it was quite hot and there were more visitors especially on islands popular with cruise ships such as Santorini and Mykonos.

I would definitely avoid August and see you aren't probably considering that time when the Meltemi wind rises.