Search

SNCF-changing site to English

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
SAB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNCF-changing site to English

Has anyone done this recently? When I went on the site today the URL no longer shows LANG=FR.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

Hello SAB

If this is the site you're looking at, just scroll down a bit. On the left side is the English flag. Click on that.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM

I don't know what you are talking about, I just looked and the site is still in French. Also, if you try to search a trip (which I think is when that long URL appears with LANG= something), it is still FR for me and still appears.

SNCF has a long memory in their cookies, I believe, so maybe it's because of something peculiar to the way you viewed it or info it retained from you. But it never had that LANG= on the front page, as I recall.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
yk

SAB, what happens is this:

1) go to www.voyages-sncf.com
2) fill out your departure and arrival station information and travel date (i know it's in French, but you can easily decipher it)
3) click "continue"
4) on the next page, you will see the LANG=FR in the URL bar. at that point, you can change FR into EN, and refresh the webpage.
5) Voila! You can proceed in English
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
SAB
Original Poster

Sorry to not be clear enough Christina. When you go to the SNCF site yes it is in French, but as you have often recommended, you can change the site to English, if you change the URL once you have entered the train area for example. In the past I have been able to do so. Today the URL in the train area does not show any LANG=, therefore cannot change from FR to UK.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
SAB
Original Poster

Thanks yk, I had forgotted the part about entering the destinations first-works just fine now.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:41 AM

To further the comments, if you simply click on the English flag, it takes you out of SNCF and into RailEurope site, NOT what you want to do.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I don't find a LANG=FR where YK says it should be. Am I just an idiot or have things changed again?
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM

The SNCF site seems to be in a constant state of change.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Underhill is right. Things have changed again.

Ignore the SNCF site and go to www.tgv-europe.com which is operated by SNCF. To keep everything in English and to keep from being bumped to the Rail Europe site, choose GREAT BRITAIN as both your country of residence and the country in which you will retrieve your ticket. Don't worry. If you get a PREM'S fare, you can print the ticket yourself. If you get any other fare, you can pick up your ticket at any SNCF station or boutique in FRANCE.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM

I have not been able to change the language from French to English since some time in February. It has been my recent experience that the SNCF URLs no longer display <i>LANG=FR</i> no matter what page you are on.

The only way to now book on www.voyages-sncf.com is in French. Using a different website, even a different SNCF website i.e. tgv.com, tgv-europe.com or sncf.com does not guarantee the same fare structure or schedule availability.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks -- I saw the British option on SNCF and that it took me to tgv-europe.com, but didn't know whether that was a good choice. I'll go about it that way.