Sleeping in Innsbruck

Oct 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Sleeping in Innsbruck

In Nov. would it be safe to arrive and seek accommodations (we want to be near/in the Altstadt) or should we prebook? I read that the TI kiosk at the train station is open until 7pm. We will arrive by train from Venice prior to that. We also want to be frugal with this sidetrip (I had to see the Alps!). Any city highlights that we should not miss? Thanks.
Oct 16th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Hi Rowan - Is the objective to see Innsbruck or to see beautiful mountain scenery?

If the latter, forget Innsbruck - and head instead to the Italian Dolomites. Some of the most spectacular mountains in Europe ...

Steve

Oct 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM
ira

Ditto SJ

Oct 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM
J62

Tritto SJ
Oct 16th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Have to agree with Steve. The Dolomites are gorgeous. Been to Innsbruck and it's not very interesting. We just spent some time in Salzburg then trained to Venice via Bolzano where we stopped for a few days. Loved Bolzano!! Shopping is great, food is great and the Otzi Iceman museum was wonderful. We also did a nice day trip out around the Dolomites. Will certainly go back and spend more time in the area.
Oct 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Will see if I can cancel my reservations in Innsbruck. Thanks for the great advice! (It probably will also be cheaper not to leave Italy.) R
Oct 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Hi,
Just wanted to put in another "vote" for the Dolomites. Spectacular scenery. If you stay in Bolzano/Bozen (agree with seeing Oetzi at the Archeology Museum), do get out into the surrounding areas...to really see the Dolomites. Just another suggestion, we thought Brixen/Bressanone was a fantastic old town, though it is a bit further from Venice than Bolzano/Bozen.

Paul
Oct 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

You are fantastic! One more question: Will 2 nights in Bolzano be better than Innsbruck? Also, we are relying on public tranportation--can we see more than just Bolzano? It seems that some of the cable cars/etc stop before our Nov. trip. Finally, would we be missing much by not doing the Brenner Pass-Innsbruck train trip. Want beautiful mountain scenery! (I am even pass the cross country point in my life!) thanks!!
Oct 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM

We did a day trip from Venice into Innsbruck and it was disappointing, except for the views along the way. Another day we drove as far as Cortina D'Ampezzo in the Dolomiti, and it was just breath taking. There's something beautiful around every corner, and we couldn't snap enough pictures. Now that we're home, looking at them brings a smile to my face! The Dolomites, any day!
Oct 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Please pardon me, just off work and tired, but really stupid of me...I meant to say, we took our day trip to Innsbruck from our base in Garmisch-Partenkirschen, not Venice!I am blond as well as silly and tired!

We drove from Venice to the Dolomite towns, a very do-able daytrip.
Oct 19th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Hi Rowan - You're not missing much by skipping the Brenner Pass/Innsbruck IMO.

The Brenner is one of the least attractive Alpine passes - just not comparable with the Dolomite ones.

I would normally recommend staying in the Dolomites proper - Val Gardena, Val Badia or Castelrotto - but for a November trip Bolzano would probably make a better base as the lifts are closed * (- see below).

For beautiful mountain scenery you could plan a couple of excursions into the Dolomites. Are you completely opposed to the idea of car-hire?

If you prefer public transport, Val Gardena, Castelrotto and Alpe di Siusi are possibilties by bus.

With careful planning around bus
timetables, for a longer trip you could combine Val Gardena, Gardena Pass and the spectacular Alta Badia - though you would need to get a taxi over the pass from Selva.

Any of those would give you a taste of these spectacular mountains.

For bus timetables from Bolzano see:
www.sad.it

A car would give you even more options, of course. Or you could hire a driver ...

Other day-trip options from Bolzano include Merano, Trento, the Wine Route, the Brenta Dolomites, Val di Fassa, Lake Garda ... You're spoilt for choice

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

* - with the exception of Cabinovia Alpe di Siusi (- closes 2/11) and Lagazuoi (- closes 5/11).

Oct 19th, 2007, 05:31 AM

We had a wonderful time in Bolzano. We stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Greif
http://www.greif.it/index.html
The day trip to Cortina was breathtaking, though not sure I would be comfortable doing it in Nov. There is a cablecar behind the train station in Bolzano, but I don't know if it operates in Nov. We also enjoyed the train from Innsbruck to Bolzano and spent most of the trip enjoying the view from the dining car. We spent much more time in the Otzi Museum than we had figured. It's really very nice. Most of our time was spent strolling, shopping and eating in the old town. There was also a great street food market. What impressed me the most about the city is how they have kept it from not becoming a Pisa style Otzi tourist trap. There is almost no indication he is there. No Otzi ashtray or knick knack kiosks. Lovely town. The train station is about 250 meters from the town square. Takes about 30 mins. by train up to Merano. We are already starting to plan a Dolomite trip.
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Just read your advise on Dolomites. Is it possible to view in a day trip from Salzburg by train. Sorry, from Africa and don't know that part of the world. Will be in Salzburg in Desember 2008, or rather, will it be easier from Zurich, one day by train?
Nov 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Innsbruck is a very cute town with several interesting things to see- but it's not in the mountains - it's in a valley. To really see the mountains you wold have to tin up to the much smaller villages.

Agree that if you go up into the Dolomites you can see some wonderful scenery closer to Venice.
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM

There are nice places of interest in Innsbruck like the Tiroler Landesmuseum, the castle of Ambras, the Kaiserjaegermuseum. for accommodation you can always prebook a hotel from the web.
http://www.hotelara.com/austria/acco...innsbruck.html
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM

When we visited Innsbruck several years ago we were less than impressed, so I agree with everyone above who voted to stay in the mountains. If you do want to go towards Innsbruck, head for Hall in Tirol instead; small but charming town and breathtaking scenery all around.

Tracy
Nov 18th, 2007, 01:35 AM

Hi Jimmy - No, the Dolomites isn't possible as a day-trip from Salzburg.

Steve