Innsbruck/Salzbrug to Bolzano

Mar 8th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Innsbruck/Salzbrug to Bolzano

Hi all,
I'm travelling with my 9 year old daughter for 2 nights in Innsbruck, one week in St. Anton, 2 nights in Salzburg and are leaving in a few days. Getting excited of finding this place out that we can visit the "ice man" museum as a side trip and would like to have more information. Are there any day tour runs from Innsbruck or Salzbrug? If not,is it easy to get around once we arrive by train from either cities? How much time should I plan to spend in Bolzano befor heading back to either cities?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Can anybody help?
Mar 8th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Bozen, or Bolzano, is on the train line south from Innsbruck to the main parts of Italy. The route is through the Brenner Pass which is one of the few openings in the mountains for a highway and a train line without a long tunnel.]

It is a 2 hour trip down and 2 more back. From Salzburg it is not feasible because Salzburg is nowhere near Bozen.
The trip would be about 4.5 hours one way.

The connection would be through Innsbruck anyhow.

I am not sure Bolzano/Bozen is worth a lot of time other than for the museum.
I suppose it depends on what you want to see.
Mar 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. We have two days in Innsbruck and the main thing I guess is just to walk about town and visit the Kristal Palace, so I think a half a day out (may be) to see the "Lost hunter" may be fun! Do you have any idea if there's anythingelse to see while we are there?

Mar 8th, 2004, 05:59 PM

I'm one of the people here who enjoys Bolzano, but coming down from Austria, it won't be that different. It is a cultural shock when coming up from the lower part of Italy. The museum did a great job with the ice man, your 9 year old will enjoy the recreation of him and you will be amazed when you see how well he is preserved. If you are coming from Innsbruck I think that it is just about 2 hours so I think that you could see the museum, and maybe stay one night. The town is a university town so it is lively and has a nice buzz. There are many great walks, gondolas, a few castles,enough to fill up one whole day.
We stay at this hotel and like it very much.
http://www.hotelhanny.it/
Mar 8th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Susanna. I thnik if we can make the day out, it'll be something that a child remembers and connect to with the mountains. I think most likely we'll just go there for the day, hope it's not going to be too much.I'll see when we get to Innsbruck. Thanks again.