Innsbruck Day Trips Grossglockner?

Jan 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Innsbruck Day Trips Grossglockner?

Is it possible or advisable to try to go to Ludwigs Castles or over the Grossglockner(sp?) as a day trip from Innsbruck or Hall? Other day trips we were looking at were the Otz valley. Any good suggestions for places to stay if these are too far for a day trip. We really appreciate the experienced advice we find here, thanks!
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:19 PM

The castles are quite doable from there. I would stay in Hall or Mittenwald. Have fun!
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Hi,

I agree with "bobthenavigator" as we prefer staying in Hall in Tirol in the Innsbruck area. We stayed 4 times (as recently as 11/10) at the Gasthof Badl in Hall in Tirol.

www.badl.at

Our favorite restaurant, the Burg Taverne in Burg Hasegg, happens to be an easy walk from the Badl. Great food, medieval atmosphere and reasonable prices.

If you drove from Innsbruck/Hall in Tirol via the Fernpass to Fuessen (Ludwig's castles), the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain which is shared w/Austria) cable car is on the way in Ehrwald, Austria.

www.zugspitze.at

From Innsbruck it's about a 2.5 hour drive to get to the start of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. At the southern terminus of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse we can recommend staying a night in Heiligenblut at the Pension Ederhof. We stayed here in Oct. 2006.

www.ederhof-heiligenblut.at

If you're staying in the Innsbruck/Hall area, and looking for scenic drives, you may be interested in the Dolomite region of Italy. The Gardena Pass (Grödnerjoch) is nothing short of spectacular and about 2 hours from Innsbruck/Hall. The Sella Pass (Sellajoch) is right there also. The Dolomites are simply amazing to see in person. Like nothing else in the Alps.

www.alpineroads.com/dolomites.php#groedner

In the Dolomites we love staying at the Ciasa Montanara in La Villa, Alta Badia.

www.montanara.it

We stayed at and can also can recommend the Garni Ariston in St. Christina, Val Gardena. While we liked the Ariston, we just like the Montanara and the scenery there better.

www.garniariston.com

Hope this helps.

Paul
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Sorry, the Gasthof Badl recently changed their website to:

www.hotel-badl-tirol.com
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM

sorry again, one more time:

www.hotel-badl-tirol.com/english/hotel.htm
Jan 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM

I also recommend Hall-in-Tyrol. This place is unique.
Jan 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

I just found out my parents have stayed at Gasthof Badl also and recommended it, thanks. Any more useful info for 3-4 days in this area with small kids?
Jan 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Hi again,

I don't know if this will help much but...

To begin with, we love the old town of Hall in Tirol.

www.regionhall.at/en/default.asp?Season=3

We just took the Nordkettenbahn cable car trip this past November from Innsbruck. The scenery is awesome!

www.nordkette.com/index.php

Castle Ambras was well worth seeing. The day we were there peacocks were roaming the grounds. Perhaps they're always there?

www.khm.at/en/ambras-castle/

Tratzberg castle is alo nearby.

www.schloss-tratzberg.at/startseite.html?L=1

40 minutes away from Hall/Innsbruck, just outside Sterzing/Vipiteno, Italy is Castle Reifenstein (Castel Tasso).

http://www.valleisarco.info/en/cultu...ortresses.html

We also love the old town of Sterzing/Vipiteno.

Paul

Search this Thread