Skiing: Saas Fee vs. Zermatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in peoples' perceptions of Saas Fee vs. Zermatt. We are trying to decide where to ski in mid-March, and were pretty set on Zermatt. And then... we saw how much hotels cost!

Based on the research I've done, I think I've established the following:
- Both Saas Fee and Zermatt are in higher elevations which should equal good snow
- Zermatt is a more upscale destination and therefore more expensive
- Saas Fee is smaller and sleepier, but the skiing appears to be just as or almost as good

What factors am I missing? Can you see the Matterhorn from Saas Fee, or is that an experience only to be had at Zermatt? How about lifts -- is the lift network as modern in Saas Fee as it appears to be in Zermatt?

Sorry for asking such basic questions, but I haven't found alot of answers to my questions on Google.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
je

Have been to Zermatt many times but not Saas Fee so I can't help you with the comparison. I can say that Zermatt continues to make improvements in their lift systems as they have added another this past year below the Gornergratt area eliminating the need for train transportation. Restaurats are varied and excellent. Hotels can be pricey but apartment rentals may be less expensive. Mid - March is still a popular time since snow should be better than presently and the weather is better.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Skiing in Zermatt is IMO much better than in Saas Fee. The snow conditions in upper regions are mostly the same, but the runs down to the village are better/easier/more snow reliable in Saas Fee.

Saas Fee has some upscale hotels too, but in general it draws an 'average' crowd.

Saas Fee *is* smaller, but it's not really sleepy. It has discos, bars etc.

You cannot see the Matterhorn from Saas Fee. The lift network is similarly good. The mountain restaurants/huts are much better/have more charm in Zermatt.