Notices

Ski Vacation

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski Vacation

I am planning a Swiss ski vacation in early December but I am still not sure where to go. It is important that I choose somewhere that will be open at this time. I am leaning toward Zermatt but I donít know if this is a mistake. I will be traveling with a few non-skiers as well and I want them to be entertained during the day too. I have also thought about Austria, namely St Anton. Can anyone provide me with advice?
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 03:33 AM

thshatit,

Yup, I think Zermatt would be your best bet for snow certainty in early Dec for Switzerland. Sorry, don't know about Austria.

Topping.

s
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:13 AM

I think swandav is right - if you must go in early December Zermatt is your best bet. I believe they have a few runs open at the moment and there's always [boring, but dependable] skiing on the glacier. Some of the other Swiss areas also have glacier skiing.

I've been following the Arlberg conditions a bit because we'll be in Lech early next year. There have been a few good snowfalls lately, but Stanton isn't open yet and I don't think you can count on it for early December. Even Lech won't be opening until Dec 4 and they're at a bit higher elevation.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:26 AM

Another good region is the Upper Engadine because of it's hight. There is also more to do for the non-skiers than in Zermatt.Links:

www.engadin.ch (general info)

www.bergbahnenengadin.ch (ski/snowboard)
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:52 PM

Although I LOVE the Engadine I think that Zermatt is better this year. Simply better snow conditions.

I also think you can keep non-skiers entertained in Zermatt. They can ride up some cable cars/funiculars/cog-wheel trains, do some walking, shopping, or even do day trips to a historical town in the Rhone valley (Sion, Brig etc.).

I don't think the Arlberg (St. Anton) has as much to offer for non-skiers. Beside that, although it had some new snow lately, the snow conditions are not very good - you better go up to the glacier in Zermatt for skiing.

I.