Skeabost Skye

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:03 AM
RDF
Original Poster

Skeabost Skye

Has anyone stayed ar Skeabost Country House on Skye? What kind of views, how are the roads to and from there, how long a drive to Portree? Is it a place that you would stay at again?
Thanks
Ron
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Haven't stayed at this particular hotel, but do know Skeabost. Very pretty area and one of my favorite restaurants ever is just near there... The Three Chimneys. Lucky you. It's very close to Portree. Don't remember exactly, but I would guess about 15-20 minutes? Others on this forum might know exactly.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM

trvlgrl described the area. But as for the roads - there are no fast roads anywhere on Skye. The roads around Skeaboast are like those all over the isle.

You will really enjoy it
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I've stayed there (honeymoon in fact) and I'm also from Scotland originally. I couldn't give it a stronger recommendation - great staff (very friendly owner), great food, oak-panelled dining room, 9 hole golf course, beautiful grounds and gardens.

Portree is only about 10 miles away - takes about 10 minutes by car. The owners of the hotel also own a pub/restaurant near the harbour in Portree. All the roads are decent but definitely country roads, so be prepared for some sharp bends (and fast locals).

Good luck
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:37 AM

We stayed at the Skeabost Hotel on Skye in July and it was awful!!!!! The owner is arrogant and uncooperative. The Superior room was mildew smelling, dusty and the bathroom was awful....even the light bulb was out. The breakfast was nice and the dining room is new and pretty but I think for the money it is a must miss. Also, being so close to the river, the bugs were plentiful...even spiders in the room!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:21 PM
SMB

just read another post re hotels in Scotland and everyone roundly hated this one.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:28 PM

SMB - "just read another post re hotels in Scotland and everyone roundly hated this one."

If you take another, look most of those recent posts about how horrible Skeabost is were posted by the same person. robertsimerlink apparently wants to make sure everyone knows he just hated the place. But many more have posted good reviews.